Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to published cached image service without image server extension licen

04-03-2014 03:53 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
If I am using the Manage Tile Cache to create cache for Image dataset and then try to publish it as a tile service ??? will it work?
Second option ??? can I build Image service and cache it on a local (EDN?) machine that has a image extension license and then copy it to a machine without that license?
If it can be done technically ??? will it violated the license agreement?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Hi Mody,

The Manage Map Server Cache Tiles tool can be used for existing map or image services, the correct work flow would be to publish your raster imagery as a map or image service and then build the tiles either while publishing or after.

Image services can be cached at version 10.1 and above and tiles can be migrated from one cache directory to another. In regards to copying it to another machine, if you have ArcGIS for Server installed as a separate single machine site, you would need to publish another service to machine 2 and copy the existing tiles into that cache directory. For Image service capabilities you would need the extension authorized. Is there a specific reason why you have to publish the service to another machine rather than consuming the service from machine 1?

Do you plan on using the enhanced capabilities of image services or do you just need to be able to view the data? For viewing purposes, a map service should be sufficient and you won't need the extension.

Hope this helps!
-Dan
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Dan

Can I put a mosaic dataset in map service without using the extension?
My understanding was that you need the extension for map service too.

Thanks
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
The Image Extension for ArcGIS for Server must be purchased and installed in order to publish mosaic datasets to an Image Service or within a Map Service.  So, you wouldn't be able to cache your mosaic dataset via a map service as an alternative to using an image service in order to avoid purchasing the extension.  If you want to cache your imagery without purchasing the extension, your best bet is to add the raster imagery directly to a map document (rather than loading them to a mosaic dataset and then loading that mosaic dataset to a map document), create a service definition, publish it to a regular map service, and then cache that service.
0 Kudos
CarmaGerber
Deactivated User
Hi Dan

I am doing a similar thing here. Publishing a map service containing imagery and building cached tiles. These will then be transferred to a hosted environment and the service will be replicated there.

I have an MXD containing image data. Some TIFF files and a mosaic also. I have image service extension enabled.

I have a folder on my hard drive called "Imagery" within which the TIFF and mosaic data all resides (within a number of sub folders).

I have registered "Imagery" folder with my AGS however still get the warning that data will be copied to the server.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Carma
0 Kudos