How to batch geocode with Portal client applications?

03-29-2018 10:55 AM
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

I have implemented ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.6 onsite at our organization.  I have set up the Portal to use our own geocoding services published from a version 10.6 Composite Address Locator using our own Address Point and Street Centerline GIS layers.  The first locator uses the US Single House Addresses style and the 2nd locator uses the US Dual Range Addresses Style.

With the Portal, I have tried to use two methods to batch geocode a small table of addresses:  Method 1:  Drag and Drop the table in .CSV format to the Map Viewer application; or 2) use the Map Viewer's Analysis > Geocode Locations from Table tool.  Both methods are failing.

Has anyone had any success using the Portal's batch geocoding tools to geocode a table of addresses using your own user defined geocoding service?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

When you try to batch geocode, do you see errors? If so, what are they?

0 Kudos
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

When I tried to use the Geocode Locations from Table tool, I received the error "Mapping locator fields with input data fields failed".  With the Drag and Drop method to the Map Viewer, the Map Viewer was not picking up any of the field found in my input CSV file.  The Portal Administrator logs show the following error "Error in generate feature service https://<server name>:6443/arcgis/rest/services/System/PublishingTools/GPServer/Generate%20Features%20for%20Portal.Server tool execution failed : ERROR 001508: Request to geocode service failed (made as part of generate or publish). Failed to execute (Generate Features for Portal). Failed. Failed to execute (Generate Features for Portal). Failed.”

After further attempts I believe I have found a solution to my particular problem.  Both the Drag & Drop method and Geocde Locations from Table tool method will work with my user defined Composite Address Locator geocoding service IF I modify the Composite Locator properties with ArcCatalog so that both the Input Address Fields and Input Mapping fields are explicitly set for the composite locator.  The documentation in ArcGIS Desktop for the requirements for the Input Address Fields and Input Mapping fields is very scant and additional documentation that describes the purposes of these two property settings would be most helpful.

0 Kudos