Error when adding extra machines to a site

12-06-2012 12:11 PM
MarcGraham
Occasional Contributor
HI guys,

I need some help with this, it is driving me crazy.

We have our arcgisserver folder in a share hosted on a netapp: \\server\share\arcgisserver

It contains our config-store, directories and logs folders.

We have created a domain arcgis account (domain\arcgis) with full permissions over these folders.

I have two virtual windows 2008 R2 machines with 2 cores and 4Gb of ram each: svrgis01 and svrgis02

Each machine has a fresh install of arcgis server 10.1 SP1.

We are able to create the site using svrgis01 fine, but when I try and add svrgis02 to the site the following happens:

1.  The adding machine dialog appears and sits there for ages, 5-10 minutes
2.  It fails with this error: "Another administrative operation is currently accessing the store.  Please try again later"
3.  Upon looking at the site page in manager on svrgis01, svrgis02 has been added to the site, but not to the default cluster.
4.  svrgis02 is in the list of machines, but is stopped.  It cannot be started.

Can anybody explain what might be causing this error and how it can be resolved?

Regards,

Marc
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Do you also have Web Adaptor installed? If so, make sure Web Adaptor is at level SP1 also. I've seen weird issues when server was at SP1 but web adaptor at SP0
0 Kudos
MarcGraham
Occasional Contributor
Do you also have Web Adaptor installed? If so, make sure Web Adaptor is at level SP1 also. I've seen weird issues when server was at SP1 but web adaptor at SP0

Yep everything is at SP1.

I think it is related to permissions issues with our storage solution, as we are able to create sites using physical machines with the configuration store on a local drive share, but when we do the exact same thing with the arcgisserver folder on the netapp shares, it fails.

Need to get our storage sorted.
0 Kudos
MuryadiOey
New Contributor III
have you put the datastore/directories at shared location? have you check the account has permission?
have you check the connection to DB? I was in that situation when trying to add another machine, I installed 32 bit db client connection while server connection is using 64 bit.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarcGraham
Occasional Contributor
have you put the datastore/directories at shared location? have you check the account has permission?
have you check the connection to DB? I was in that situation when trying to add another machine, I installed 32 bit db client connection while server connection is using 64 bit.

Thanks!

The arcgisserver folder is in a shared location, and all machines can create new sites there, but cannot join sites that have been created already.
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Can you try to remove the machine (if it shows in the list), then try to add the machine from the "add machine" function in Server manager (Server manager/ site/ machines). Thanks-
0 Kudos
AndrewHaigh
New Contributor III
Hi,

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this? I have a similar problem trying to create the Configuration Store on an NFS mounted file system, which in our case is exported by a Red Hat Linux Cluster.

Thank

Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewHaigh
New Contributor III
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know we'd got to the bottom of the issue, as described below:

The initial NFS configuration worked OK from the OS level. User arcgis was able to read/write files over NFS from the Application servers to the Cluster. However, from the Application level, NFS did not appear to work as expected.

From our testing, we found iptables (Linux Firewall) was causing the issue. By enabling verbose logging, I found NFS Locking was being blocked.

By adding an additional rule to iptables to allow NFS Locking through, everything from the Application level now works as expected.

Andrew
0 Kudos
Hampshire_County_CouncilGIS_Te
New Contributor II
I was having the same problem and having previously had issues of using ArcGIS Server over HTTPS I thought this problem may be related.  In the admin pages I set the site security to HTTP only, then I tried to add my new machine and it worked!  I suspect that it was trying to do stuff over HTTPS (because it could) and it got a certificate error that caused the process to fail.
0 Kudos