Select to view content in your preferred language

Definition query layer - Actual extent

11-06-2012 09:38 PM
ScottSugden
Deactivated User
How do I get the actual extent of a layer with a definition query? The MapLayerInfo.Extent property returns the extent of the entire layer and not just the extent of those features returned by the definition query. If a map service contains a layer defined by a definition query that layer will only ever return features that match the definition query. I need the extent of those features matching the definition query and not the extent of all the features in the layer. Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Scott,
Unfortunately this is not currently supported. If you are not using a FeatureLayer on your web client, only option you have is to query to get only geometries and post process to compute the extent. I understand this requires an additional call and post processing....

Thanks.
Tanu
0 Kudos
ScottSugden
Deactivated User
Tanu, Yes I thought of that option, but that is not really viable as I have a number of such layers and each layer definition query can contain many features, so performance would be an issue. I suppose what ArcGIS Server needs is an API to query the shape (or geometry) column. Do you know of any such plans? Thank you for the response.
MichaelGayheart1
Regular Contributor

I am running into this performance problem also and would appreciate a queryForExtent method on the REST api for Dynamic Map Service Layers. I have some fairly large polygons and even when I use MaxAllowableOffset at a very high number, I still get back a lot more features filled with vertices than if I could just get an extent returned. Any chance of being in 10.3?

Would a geoprocessing service that took a layer and query and returned an extent be faster (I assume it would be less bandwidth) than returning the features to the client and having to post-process them to get an extent?

0 Kudos