Data Store Fails During Configuration - Caused by: Null

1435
3
Jump to solution
11-25-2020 09:03 PM
AaronLaver
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm currently running into issues configuring data store on 10.8.1. Note that everything started when the primary (and only) relational datastore failed to validate. When running the configuredatastore tool, everything initializes and runs for a minute or so before failing with error message:

Error encountered: Machine 'https://localhost:2443/arcgis/datastoreadmin' returned an error. 'Attempt to configure data store failed

Caused by: Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Null'

Performing the same function through the browser UI produces the same result. 

For some added context: Both tile cache and relational data store were installed and configured on the same machine, working great as of yesterday around 1PM. Received notification at 6PM that none of the hosted feature services are working (tile cache was), and I ended up unregistering from server with hopes of re-registering only to ultimately end up failing with a reconfigure as described above. Error messages for both restore and re-register have produced "Token Required" errors.

Anyone run into this before or have any thoughts on this? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronLaver
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply @ChristopherPawlyszyn. Unfortunately, restoring the datastore failed for similar reasons as well, which is a major bummer because I had a restore point from the night before.

For those who read this post in the future who have a lot of data out there to lose, I do NOT recommend my plan of action, at least not without contacting tech support first. PLEASE TAKE THE RECOMMENDED action of calling support before taking my own, more destructive path if you have anything of worth at stake.

Fortunately for me, the portal only had 11 hosted feature services in it, and 9 of them were scripted. I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling data store which fixed the issue. I did have to rebuild the services as a result, which didn't take too long for me luckily.

 

 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Hi @AaronLaver,

This sounds like a situation where your best bet may be to open a support case so an analyst can help you directly with your specific issue. I've run into instances where the relational data store doesn't want to be registered again with the site, but a restore of the most recent backup was successful.

Restore a relational data store or primary-standby mode tile cache data store after a crash

That may be worth a shot depending on how recently the last backup was taken, otherwise a closer look into the configuration/site-specific files may reveal a more approachable route with less data loss. I haven't been able to track down a common theme between the few incidents that I've seen.

AaronLaver
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply @ChristopherPawlyszyn. Unfortunately, restoring the datastore failed for similar reasons as well, which is a major bummer because I had a restore point from the night before.

For those who read this post in the future who have a lot of data out there to lose, I do NOT recommend my plan of action, at least not without contacting tech support first. PLEASE TAKE THE RECOMMENDED action of calling support before taking my own, more destructive path if you have anything of worth at stake.

Fortunately for me, the portal only had 11 hosted feature services in it, and 9 of them were scripted. I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling data store which fixed the issue. I did have to rebuild the services as a result, which didn't take too long for me luckily.

 

 

View solution in original post

SimonSchütte_ct
New Contributor III

I ran into the same issue while installing the datastore for 10.9. Since I did not have any data in the store, I unistalled the datastore and deleted the arcgisdatastore folder for good measure [don´t do this if you have any data stored in it!!]. Then I installed the datasstore again and registered it succesfully.

There is also this technical article if you are looking for an alternate solution: Error: Attempt to Configure Data Store Failed. Caused by null (esri.com)