Create a geodatabase (and st_geometry) in Oracle Express 11g R2 for home use

Jump to solution
01-24-2017 06:20 AM
NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

I'd like to set up a database environment at home that mimics what I have in the office (Oracle enterprise geodatabase/ESRI's st_geometry). I want to do this for personal use, specifically to play around with spatial databases  in an Oracle/ESRI environment.

I plan to set up ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Personal Use license) as the client and Oracle XE 11g R2 (64-bit) as the database. I'll create a geodatabase in the Oracle XE database, and add a st_geometry user-defined type.

From what I've read, it looks like this is possible, in theory. The Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x document says that Oracle 11g R2 (64-bit) 11.2.0.3 is supported by ArcGIS desktop. However, it doesn't explicitly say that the express edition (XE) of Oracle is supported. Also, it has occurred to me that I've never heard of anyone else doing this.

Since I will be purchasing new hardware and software solely for this purpose, I'd like to know ahead of time -- will this work? Can I create a geodatabase (with st_geometry) using ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Personal Use license) in an Oracle XE 11g R2 (64-bit) database?

(I'll admit that I don't fully understand how not having ArcGIS Server/ArcSDE will play into this.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

The short answer: ST_GEOMETRY was possible, creating a Geodatabase was NOT possible.

More information here: http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/225441/create-a-geodatabase-and-st-geometry-in-oracle-express...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

The biggest issue that I see is related to the licencing of the enterprise geodatabase at home. I would assume to be in compliance that an ArcGIS Enterprise basic level license would need to be purchased for home use. That should give you all the enterprise geodatabase functionality needed. You may want to check with your account manager on the specifics of this.

Now if I was going to pick a version of Oracle, I would select at least Oracle 11.2.0.4 or the latest 12c version that is supported.

https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=874ea7d3-2361-4bb0-b173-d0e673ba1b1...

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, you cannot use the Express edition (XE) of Oracle for creating an Enterprise Geodatabase.

You can! However, not in Production and that will not be supported by Esri, in case of any issues faced...

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Supported database versions

Standard/Standard One/Enterprise Editions:

Oracle 10g R2 (64-bit) 10.2.0.3

Oracle 11g R2 (64-bit) 11.2.0.3

Oracle 12c R1 (64-bit) 12.1.0.1

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

On further looking into this, it seems that you may be able to use Oracle XE. Check this old link:

FAQ: Can ArcGIS Server 9.3 Enterprise (all editions) be used with Oracle Express Edition (XE)? 

I guess you saw it in an old GeoNet post, as mentioned on your GIS SE post --arcsde - Create a geodatabase (and st_geometry) in Oracle Express 11g R2 for home use - Geographic I... 

So, I guess as long as you are fine with the limitations of Oracle XE, you should be able to use it. However, if you need a confirmation to that old link, I'll suggest discussing with Esri Tech Support, to get the updated info..

NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

Thanks Asrujit. I don't think it would be appropriate to use my office's support account to make a personal inquiry. I tried to put in a ticket using my personal ESRI account at http://support.esri.com/request-case, but I got the message "You do not have access to request a support case".

Does anyone have any idea if I signed up for the ArcGIS Desktop Advanced One Year Timeout for Personal Use License, if that would enable me to put in a ticket to support? Would I get some sort of support account credit?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Give it a try...in case you face any issues, that can be discussed as and when they come up...

0 Kudos
NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

In hindsight, I guess I shouldn't have used the "Enterprise GIS' category for my question. It's misleading, but it's the most relevant category that I came across.

I don't actually want to make an enterprise geodatabase. I just want to have an spatial Oracle database, that has

some sort of ESRI component, so I can develop my skills in an Oracle/ESRI environment at home. It would be nice to have either geodatabase functionality or st_geometry (or both). If st_geometry isn't possible, I could live with using SDO_GEOMETRY/Oracle Locator instead.

In summation, the database must be Oracle, and needs to have an ESRI component. Other than that, my requirements are flexible.

Forgive my ignorance, but Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop doesn't explicitly say that Oracle Express is -- or isn't -- supported, does it? Is it possible that Oracle Express isn't officially certified by ESRI for geodatabases, but can work, under certain circumstances?

The reason I ask is I found evidence of Oracle Express geodatabases here:

FAQ: Can ArcGIS Server 9.3 Enterprise (all editions) be used with Oracle Express Edition (XE)?

Oracle Express 11g support

0 Kudos
NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

Wups. I didn't see Asrujit SenGupta's reply until after I hit submit.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

After your clarification above, about not having to be an "enterprise geodatabase". You could probably do what you are saying with Oracle Express. You would just need to create an SDE user and run the Create Spatial Type—Help | ArcGIS Desktop GP tool to add the ST_Geometry information.

Add the ST_Geometry type to an Oracle database—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

That should get you up and running, at least enough to be dangerous.

--- George T.
NathanWilson1
New Contributor II

The short answer: ST_GEOMETRY was possible, creating a Geodatabase was NOT possible.

More information here: http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/225441/create-a-geodatabase-and-st-geometry-in-oracle-express...

0 Kudos