Confusion over 10.2.2 ArcSDE command line tool location

Jump to solution
10-20-2015 09:20 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello - I need to create a view in a 10.2.2 SDE database. I have never used the ArcSDE command line tool and do not know where to find it. I tried this: ArcSDE application server for Microsoft SQL Server installation guide but in the setup I never saw the option to just install command line tools.

I'd really like to use the command line instead of the geoprocessing tool because of the issues described here: ArcGIS Idea - Create Views In ArcCatalog Like In SDE Command Line

I was reading this thread which got me on this tangent: Creating views in SDE 10.3

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The command line tools can be found on the MyEsri page.

If you have access to your agencies "MyEsri" for downloads, fselect the downloads for 10.2.x server (the last version that I think included the download)

Then download

EDIT: Quinn beat me to it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
QuinnFrancis
New Contributor III

Hi Sarah,

You may have the command line tools installed on your machine already without you knowing.  Open up a command prompt and type in an ArcSDE command such as 'sdelayer' or 'sdemon'.  If information is returned regarding the command you typed in then you know the command line tools are installed.  Also, you can check the %SDEHOME%/bin directory on your machine to check if the tools are installed.  If the command tools are not installed, you can download them from the MyEsri site by navigating to My Organization > Downloads > ArcGIS for Server Enterprise > View Downloads.  Once installed, you'll want to run the 'sdetable -o create_view' command in a command prompt window.

ArcSDE Administration Command Reference

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The command line tools can be found on the MyEsri page.

If you have access to your agencies "MyEsri" for downloads, fselect the downloads for 10.2.x server (the last version that I think included the download)

Then download

EDIT: Quinn beat me to it.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh interesting -- are they only available with the Enterprise license? We have Standard. I thought because our geodatabases are 'SQL Server Enterprise' that we'd be able to get the tools.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

*Server for Workgroup

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Sarah,

The ArcSDE Commandline tools are only designed to work with Enterprise geodatabases, created with an ArcGIS For Server Enterprise license (an level), and NOT with ArcGIS Server for Workgroup. The Workgroup level geodatabases are based on SQL Server Express and not a "full" SQL Server version.

Hope this help....

-George

Geodatabase

--- George T.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That explains it, thanks George.

0 Kudos