Composite Locator

05-15-2018 07:22 PM
LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have setup a postal (zip code) geocoder, and a geocoder by building names. From there on created a composite locator from both of them. Published to my 10.6 server and added it to Portal (federated and hosted on ArcGIS Data Store) via utility services.

Drag and drop a csv onto the map in Enterprise. Tried to geocode using building names and succeed. Drag and drop again to geocode by postal, but unable to locate postal codes.

"Error: The layer was not created because no locations could be found. Make sure your data has valid location information"

Went on to publish the postal geocoder by itself to the server, and added it to Portal. Drag and drop csv using the postal locator (not composite) and it managed to geocode the results.

Does Enterprise supports composite locator? Or are there similar issues faced?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lee:

Do you experience the same behavior with the local composite in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi Shana,

Nope. I didn't face any issue when geocoding on ArcMap using the composite locator.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What is the behavior when you use the composite geocode service in ArcMap to geocode the two tables?

I'm trying to determine if the problem is with the geocode service or with Portal and the service as a utility service.

LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi Shana,

The composite locator is built upon two locators. First is the zip code locator (zip 5-digit style), followed by the land parcel locator (single field).

The data in ArcMap is a csv file containing zip codes and parcel ID. To geocode the data, I would choose either the parcel ID or zipcodes. It would then follow with a popup of 100% completed.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lee:

What are your steps for the following statement in your original question? "Published to my 10.6 server and added it to Portal (federated and hosted on ArcGIS Data Store) via utility services."

Are you publishing the composite locator from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server, then add the geocode service REST URL to the utility service section of the Enterprise Portal  organization settings for utility services? Does this mean that you published the locators by copying the data to the server or did you publish by reference where the locators were in a folder that was registered with the Data Store?

0 Kudos
LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi Shana,

Are you publishing the composite locator from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server, then add the geocode service REST URL to the utility service section of the Enterprise Portal  organization settings for utility services? "Yes"

Does this mean that you published the locators by copying the data to the server or did you publish by reference where the locators were in a folder that was registered with the Data Store? "Copying"

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lee:

Is the data for the postal codes and parcel numbers in a single field in the csv or multiple fields in the csv?

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the field mapping from the map viewer when using the composite?

In ArcMap when you select the Data.csv table do you map both the 'Key' and 'ZipCode' fields to geocode the table?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lee:

I was able to create a parcel and zip code locator and add them to a composite using ArcMap 10.6.1 and publish the composite using ArcMap to the federated server of a 10.6.1 Enterprise portal using the copy data option. I added the composite service as a utility service to the Enterprise portal and was successful in dragging and dropping a csv file onto the map and geocoding either the postal codes or parcel PINs.

Since you do have Enterprise portal and it is federated, you can add the composite locator to ArcGIS Pro and share the locator directly to the Enterprise portal as an item. The item can then be added as a utility service to be able to use it in the map viewer or in ArcGIS Pro when signed with your Enterprise credentials. Does the behavior occur if you use ArcGIS Pro to publish the composite locator to Enterprise portal?

These resources should help:

About sharing your locator to your portal—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Publish a locator to your portal—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Set properties on locators shared to your portal—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos