Cannot Register a Folder Data Source on NAS machine

11-01-2022 10:38 AM
SteveMurphy
New Contributor II

Hello,

I can register Folder Data Stores on all of my Windows servers but cannot register or validate any of the folders on my NAS server, where all of my mega large GIS data has to go. It fails through Portal and through Server Manager.

Server Manager returns the error: Invalid folder location. Unable to access this location.

Portal just says: ! Not Available

I suspect user authentication issues. I do not see any logs written to C:\arcgisdatastore\logs directory when validate fails. Does anyone know where data store validation writes logs or how to determine what user ArcGIS Enterprise is using when it tries to authenticate with the folder location on the remote server? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

Couple questions:

1. When you say 'remote' is this device on the same network that your other servers reside?
  2. Is your ArcGIS service account configured as a local account or a domain account?

Thinking authentication issue as well. Curious if you can ping that device as your service account user (CMD/Powershell run as different user) vs the devices you've been able to successfully register.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I had a similar thing.  I have a development environment with an AD.  The ArcGIS Server runs under an AD account and will communicate with local (D:) folders and also UNC paths for other machines on the AD.  I also have a NAS and wanted to make that work, as you've described.  The NAS was 'standalone' in as much as it was on the same network and shared the same IP address range, but it was not AD joined.  

The Server was unable to authenticate to anything on the NAS until I registered the NAS with the AD server and set permissions on the folder in question.  The issue was resolved immediatley.

Is you NAS AD joined and if so, then are permissions set on the appropraite folder(s) for the service account that the ArcGIS Server runs under?

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos