Can you install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express

09-04-2014 04:31 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I am fairly new to ArcGIS for Server and I am trying to read up on documentation about different database management systems and I cannot seem to find an answer on whether or not I can install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express? I'm trying to set up an Enterprise Geodatabase with the trial version of Server Advanced Enterprise. Any help would be much appreciated.

42 Replies
JaromHlebasko

I am a little confused on some of the other conversations. According to your comments, SQL Server Express Personal Edition and Workgroup Edition will only allow me to have a certain number of editors. However, Asrujit SenGupta‌ stated that if its an sde enterprise geodatabase...there is no limit on the number of connections or the number of simultaneous editors.

Any clarification would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Jarom Hlebasko‌ I will suggest going through the below link which explains this very clearly:

Geodatabase | Multiuser Geodatabase

In short, the license level of ArcSDE is more important here for your understanding:

SDE Personal: You can have 3 simultaneous users connected , but only 1 can edit.

SDE Workgroup: You can have 10 simultaneous users/editors.

SDE Enterprise: No limitation on simultaneous users/editors.

JaromHlebasko

After clicking through the link that you provided, I noticed under the Enterprise column and Data Storage row that SQL Server Express is not an option. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Doesn't that indicate that all editions of SQL Server is supported?

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Asrujit SenGupta wrote:

Doesn't that indicate that all editions of SQL Server is supported?

You would think but remember, I need everything spelled out for me! To avoid confusion, don't you think it should state "All Versions of SQL Server are Supported"?

Anyway, I have one more question. I have ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Advance installed on my local computer. I believe I have to install SQL Server Express on the same machine. Is the installation of SQL Server Express supposed to be downloaded through My Esri or do i need to go to the Microsoft website to do that? I looked on My Esri and the only thing I see is there it is "ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server".Is this what I need to download and install?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can download it from the Microsoft website directly.

The "ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server" setup(which is for SDE Enterprise) will not have SQl Server Express included with it.

The SQL Server Express Edition setup is included along with the setup for SDE Personal or SDE Workgroup only.

Links to download the SQl Server Express, just in case you want them:

Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition from Official Microsoft Download Cente...

Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Express from Official Microsoft Download C...

JaromHlebasko

Well, I went to download SQL Server 2012 Express And they have a lot of options to choose from once I click the download link. Do you by chance know which one I should download to work with ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Advanced? I have a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional Machine if that helps.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The "Details" section in that link explains the various setups available for download. You need to choose based on what functionalities (from SQL Server point of view) you want to use.

Express (SQLEXPR)

• Express edition includes the SQL Server database engine only. Best suited to accept remote connections or administer remotely. ----- This is the most basic one, which includes the SQL Server database engine only.

Express with Advanced Services (SQLEXPRADV)

• This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP1. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services. ----- This includes all the Services\tools available.
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend downloading ENU\x64\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe from the following link so that you have all components:

Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express from Official Microsoft Download Center

This package contains all the components of SQL Express. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.

Full Text Search and Reporting Services are not required, but can be useful.  See the following links for more info on Full Text Search and Reporting Services.

JaromHlebasko

Do I also need to install the SQL Server Native Client on the same machine? I'm trying to get into my database via ArcCatalog and it keeps giving me a database connection dialog box that reads:

The user's default database is system database; automatic connections to system databases are not allowed. Please provide a different database for the connection.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos