ArcMap Does Not Create Locators

05-13-2019 11:33 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced behavior in ArcMap where it just stops creating locators?

we are seeing this in 10.5.1 where it used to be able to create a locator in 3min, we attempted to build the locator again and 30min later we decided to stop the process. We are following address locator 101 steps, this locator does not exist within a gdb. 

thoughts?

dave

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is this process being run on a regular workstation or a Windows Server server?

Has anything changed in the environment where this process is being run (e.g. Windows Update, Anti-Virus software update, Anti-Malware software update)?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Dave:

I would suggest the following because of the size of the reference data:

1. Install 64-bit Background Geocprocessing if you have not already, https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/analyze/executing-tools/64bit-background.htm
  2. Enable background geoprocessing in ArcMap/ArcCatalog
  3. Build the locator with the Create Address Locator tool

If you have access to ArcGIS Pro, I'd also suggest building the locator with the Create Address Locator tool since Pro is a 64-bit application and would be able to process the data better than 32-bit ArcMap.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dave, Are you using Oracle SDE data as your data source.  I only ask because I was having issues with rebuilding address locators from Oracle SDE and using 64-bit background geoprocessing was attempted but I think the Oracle Client was blocking the process as ArcMap is a 32-bit app that needs a 32-bit client to connect to Oracle, but the 64-bit background geoprocessing needs a 64-bit Oracle Client to connect so there is a conflict.

0 Kudos
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

we are only using a file geodatabase as our source.

0 Kudos