ArcGIS for Server 10.3 Creating Server Directories in Unassigned Drive

12-12-2014 01:01 PM
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS for Server 10.3 is creating a \arcgisserver\directories folder on our C: drive even though all our ArcGIS for Server Directories are set to the 😧 drive. If I delete it I find that it reappears in a few seconds. When I first installed 10.3 the \arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\statistics folder was in the C: drive. I also noticed that when I started the Search service the \arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\utilities\search_indexer_gpserver was created in the C: drive.  I have changed Server Directories back and forth, rebooted, and searched registry and directory for "C:\arcgisserver" but was still unable to resolve the issue.

12 Replies
MarielaDel_Rio
New Contributor III

I too have noticed that it does not matter where I set the arcgisserver\directories folders, ArcGIS Server install still creates one in the C: drive even if I indicate the "D:" drive. I am not sure that the server actually uses the "arcgisserver\directories" folder it creates in "C:", because it does not create anything else inside it, but it does create additional folders in the 😧 one I indicated.

Was your installation of 10.3 successful? I have tried many installs, 3 servers, and I still have not been able to have a good 10.3 install. 10.2 installs fine, but I want to move forward, not backward.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

I did some more testing and the folder is created almost immediately after starting the ArcGIS for Server Windows service.

My 10.3 install was successful. It was an upgrade from 10.2.

0 Kudos
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

I have C:\arcgisserver\directories and C:\arcgisserver\logs.  The directories folder only contains an arcgissystem folder which in turn contains a statistics folder.  Everything else is in the network location shared by both the machines in the cluster.  I'm guessing, but it looks to me like this is where AGS is storing machine-specific information i.e. statistics, logs, error reports etc.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Sarah on this -  these directories are used to store machine-specific information ...

0 Kudos
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

I found the stats folder only appeared after upgrading. After testing, which included deleting the c: drive folders and changing directory paths, it never reappeared on the c: drive. As a test you could delete the c: drive folders and see if statistics folder is recreated.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I just tested this on my single machine dev environment and found that after copying the newly-created statistics folder from the (also newly-created) C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem folder to the D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem folder, and then deleting the C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem directories, that the C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem directory was recreated immediately- just as you all found - but not the statistics folder itself.

Everything seems fine so far.  Nothing else is being written into the C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem location, but I can't tell yet if the .dat files in the D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\statistics folder are being updated.

Not sure, but I didn't see a way to specify D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\statistics folder at config time. Regardless, I'm not sure that I will want to move this folder when I update our 3 machine, 2 cluster production environment....

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Quick update, the folder was just recreated on the C:\ drive location.  I guess I'll just have to monitor it, but that answers my question "I can't tell yet if the .dat files in the D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\statistics folder are being updated". They obviously aren't....

0 Kudos
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

The statistics folder on my 😧 drive is being updated. One *.data-i file per day.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

OK.  I'm thinking what should really matter is: Is there a way to manage these .dat files regardless of where they are going - i.e. specify a time length of how long to keep the files?  I don't see anything ala logfile age specification...

0 Kudos