Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Data Store 11.3 does not upgrade correctly

06-09-2024 10:38 AM
StephenKaranja
Occasional Contributor

We are in the process of upgrading our ArcGIS Enterprise deployment from 11.2 to 11.3. So far, we have successfully upgraded Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Web Adaptor to 11.3. However, the upgrade of ArcGIS Data Store was not successful. It proceeded up to the point at which it stated that it was configuring the ArcGIS Data Store service then it hung at that point for a few hours. I cancelled the install after it became unresponsive. After running the ArcGIS Data Store installer again, it continues to hang at various points such as after specifying the ArcGIS Data Store account or when validating the install. I should also mention that I tried uninstalling ArcGIS Data Store to install it afresh but it also hung during the uninstall and I cancelled this too. The 11.3 installer continues to detect the previous version for upgrade even though it's no longer in the Windows list of installed programs.

We'd appreciate it if someone could assist us in resolving this problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

check the data store log to see what's causing the problem.

If you have the backup, you may have to roll back to the original state, address any issues before upgrading the system again.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I just completed our 11.2 to 11.3 upgrade this Saturday.  We have a completely distributed deployment, with all of the components - Web Adaptors, Portal, Hosting Site, Relational Datastore, Tile Cache Datastore and a Federated Server Site that supports our Image Server and SDE feature access services on separate servers.

For the first time, I was able to convince our EIT security to allow the capability to suspend active virus scanning during the upgrades.  So for Portal, Server and Datastore what used to take 3 -4 hours per server, with various hanging points during both upgrade and post-upgrade, now took 15 - 30 minutes.

So for our entire enterprise, the update would take up to 18 hours.  I had the entire deploy upgraded, cleaned and tested, in 5 hours.

If you can, I would roll back to 11.2 as @simoxu suggests.  Then ask your security group to allow you to suspend active virus scanning.  If you can't, try and re-run the datastore component while virus scanning is suspended.  Suspending virus scanning is recommended in this ESRI upgrade knowledge doc:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/upgrade-arcgis-enterprise-000029452

AntonKrijgsman
New Contributor II

Make sure you have enough disk space. We had this problem when upgrading to 11.1. The installer doesn't check the free diskspace, but will make a complete copy of the datastore.

0 Kudos