webgisdr versus datastore backup

Jump to solution
06-10-2021 04:33 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

If we are using webgisdr to do full and incremental backups, is there any need to have the datastore backup as well?

The datastore backups on our system located in D:\arcgisdatastore\backup are consuming a large amount of space and just not sure why the files are there and if they are needed if we are using webgisdr.

Can anyone tell me the difference and if there is a need to to keep the datastore backup?

Thanks

Dean 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There's really no need to continue to create Data Store backups since backups for Enterprise need to capture everything at a single point of time. The only argument for both types is if you only have to restore data from hosted services. The challenge, though, is there's a chance you may be left with services that are missing data if those services have been published after the last backup of the Data Store.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There's really no need to continue to create Data Store backups since backups for Enterprise need to capture everything at a single point of time. The only argument for both types is if you only have to restore data from hosted services. The challenge, though, is there's a chance you may be left with services that are missing data if those services have been published after the last backup of the Data Store.

DeanHowell1

Thanks @JonathanQuinn I appreciate you taking the time to reply. How do you turn off the data store backups?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use the updatebackupschedule utility:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/data-store/latest/install/windows/data-store-utility-reference.htm#...

To disable automatic backups, set the frequency to 0.

MichaelAugust

So if we run into an issue say, during an upgrade to 10.9.1 where our datastore configuration has somehow lost the admin credentials and we need to restore from a backup, can we use the Enterprise backups we've been making to restore just/only the Datastore and fix the config login issue? If you can't tell we're going thru this right now...

0 Kudos
JenRadcliff
New Contributor III

MichaelAugust, did you ever get the answer to your question?  We're having the same issue.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

No, I think if I'm remembering correctly, we had to restore our entire server machine and re-apply the upgrade.

0 Kudos