problems with a measured grid

04-13-2010 08:05 AM
NoraEsquivel
New Contributor
Hello:
We are working with a rectangular box that is slightly rotated from horizontal axis. To attach a measured grid to this box, I first "clip to shape" the data frame to it. Then I followed the grids and graticules wizard steps to construct a measured grid for my box. However the resultant measured grid has some missing labels. I tried the same process with a horizontal box and its associated measured grid has all its labels. So the problem are rotated boxes.
How can I overcome this problem to get a measured grid with complete set of labels for a rotated box?

Thanks
Nora Esquivel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KatharinaDubach
Occasional Contributor III
Do I understand correctly that the grid is rotated relative to the sides of your box? I.e. the intervals of the grid lines interjecting the bounding box are not constant?

In this case some labels get omitted if there is not enough space for them. So far I haven't found a solution to force ArcMap to display all the labels. You could either try to shift your map a little bit (it that is an option) to change the intervals and get all labels to display. Or convert the grid to graphics and place the labels manually (or just add any missing label as text). Obviously then you loose the link to your map, so shifting your map after the conversion will not shift the grid...

Not a real solution, I know, but maybe it helps anyway. Cheers,
Kathi
0 Kudos
NoraEsquivel
New Contributor
Do I understand correctly that the grid is rotated relative to the sides of your box? I.e. the intervals of the grid lines interjecting the bounding box are not constant?

In this case some labels get omitted if there is not enough space for them. So far I haven't found a solution to force ArcMap to display all the labels. You could either try to shift your map a little bit (it that is an option) to change the intervals and get all labels to display. Or convert the grid to graphics and place the labels manually (or just add any missing label as text). Obviously then you loose the link to your map, so shifting your map after the conversion will not shift the grid...

Not a real solution, I know, but maybe it helps anyway. Cheers,
Kathi

Hello Kathi:
The grid is adjusted to the box,  so both the box and its associated grid have the same rotation with respect an horizontal axis (they are aligned). In this case, there are some missing labels in the grid.

Thanks
Nora
0 Kudos
KatharinaDubach
Occasional Contributor III
Ok, I see. So it's not what I first thought...

I expect that the problem lies somewhere with the rather limited capabilities of labelling grids (compared to what you can do with labels in the map or other text...). As stated before, one workaround would be to convert the grid to graphics and insert the text manually. But I can understand if you're not satisfied with that.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Kathi
0 Kudos
NoraEsquivel
New Contributor
Ok, I see. So it's not what I first thought...

I expect that the problem lies somewhere with the rather limited capabilities of labelling grids (compared to what you can do with labels in the map or other text...). As stated before, one workaround would be to convert the grid to graphics and insert the text manually. But I can understand if you're not satisfied with that.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Kathi

Ok. Thanks Kathi.
0 Kudos