Minimal Legend for Multiple Attributes

05-23-2014 10:58 AM
MH2
by
New Contributor
I have a map with two attributes (call them category & size) to be represented on the map separately: (1) by Color & (2) by size of the circle.

I am using "multiple attributes" > "Quantity by category" in the "Symbology" tab to represent the data.  Creating this data works fine and the symbols are nicely represented on the map.  BTW, I am using "Add XY Data" to add the data from an excel sheet.

The problem is with the legend.  For each category it creates a size legend.  So if i have 5 different sizes for each category and I have 5 categories, the result comes up to a large legend to more than 25 lines (5*5).  This problem has been raised by several people before and I have note been able to find an answer.  See similar questions:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/39758-Multiple-Attribute-Legend

Any help would be appreciated
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Remove this layer from the legend items. make 2 copies of this layer, and symbolize 1 by color and 1 by size. Set the definition query on both of these to eliminate all features. Use these 2 "fake" layers for your legend.
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
MH2
by
New Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion.  I thought about this possibility but problem is aligning colors manually between the fake layer (for the legend) and the real layer for the actual symbol display on map becomes a tedious task.  It's ok if I want to create one off charts but becomes very time consuming if i want to make several charts.  Does arcmap not have an automated way to do this?

I only need the color legend (if it is simpler).  I don't need the circle size legend.
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
If you make a custom style and create your colour and dots how you want, then copy and paste the symbol a number of times and create your items accordingly (ie size + colour). Time consuming, but only need to do once and then can apply quickly to other maps.
0 Kudos