How does one delete an existing web adaptor including a previous web adaptor name?

03-08-2018 04:21 PM
Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

I am upgrading our Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Enterprise, including both of our web adaptors.  However, I believe I made a mistake installing the web adaptor and needed to start over.  So I uninstalled the web adaptor, and then began the reinstall process, but now I'm running into an error message:

I would rather not choose a different web adaptor name in case this continues to happen LOL...so then this begs the question, if I have already uninstalled the previous web adapter then how can a web adapter with that name continue to exist on the default web site?  A second question would be, "how does one then remove the default web site?"

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Perhaps the uninstall ran into problems and didn't completely clean itself up? Have you checked IIS or C:\inetpub\wwwroot for the portal web adapter application? Does this error occur during web adapter installation or configuring the web adapter to your portal?

Adam Z

MarkHotz

Adam:

Thanks for the response...much appreciated.  I think what I did was that I was too hasty and didn't wait for the web adaptor to prompt me to configure it after I had completed the upgrade; hence, I moved on to upgrading our GIS Server...and then its web adaptor as well.  I will explore IIS and C:\inetpub\wwwroot too though.  Other than searching for everything in the registry and deleting every single occurrence of this install this might be my last hope.  Very annoying.

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Mark - This certainly seems to be a web adapter/IIS issue, however you can also check Portal to make sure it still deosn't think there is a web adapter configured.

Log in to Portal Admin, https://yourwebaddress.domain.com:7443/arcgis/portaladmin

System > Web Adapters >Machine to see registered web adapters.

If what you are looking to replace is there you may just need to unregister it.

Adam Z

Mark_Hotz

Adam:  I thought I was having some success, but it was only fleeting.  I did get past the previous error message/warning though...the install process no longer gets tripped up with a Web Adaptor with the same name.  But it still won't let me configure the Web Adaptor.  I'm running close to the end of my tether here...and am not having much success.  I took a look at https://webaddress.domain.com:7443/arcgis/portaladmin --> System --> Web Adaptors and there is no Machine folder, and that pretty well is where this process ends:

I uninstalled the web adaptor I had installed earlier, plus I uninstalled Portal and started everything over...still no success.  I get to the part where I configure the web adapter and then I get a now familiar error message:

I checked in Programs and Features and both of these applications are there (hence they are installed) and both are version 10.6.

The only thing I did not do is first deleting the portal folder from C:\inetpub\wwroot as per both your and Jonathan Quinn's suggestion.  I will try again (it seems that every time I want to start over it takes about 2 hours to complete the process...sometimes longer).

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If the web adaptor is uninstalled, (confirm through Programs and Features), just delete the "portal" folder from C:\inetpub\wwwroot as AZiegler-esristaff‌ mentioned. Since you're upgrading, you don't really need to unregister it from Portaladmin but it won't affect anything if you do.

Mark_Hotz

Thanks Jonathan...I included this in my previous reply to save space and time.

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

I think I may have resolved my issue...and I feel pretty sheepish about it.  I had been trying to install and configure Portal for ArcGIS on the GIS server, rather than the Portal server where Portal had originally been installed and configured.  So naturally, after I had completed my installation each time there were duplicate Portals and web adaptors residing on a different server, which is probably going to cause issues, especially when trying to authorize.

How dumb is that? 🙂

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Not dumb at all. in fact a great catch. All resolved once you were working in the right location? Or are you still experiencing issues?

Adam Z

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

I was running into different issues, but I managed to troubleshoot those and I now have portal up and running.  Sadly, I still made a mess of it and I will have to redo my web maps...but I needed to clean all of that up before staff start using it anyway, so it's just forcing me to start that sooner, rather than later :-).  It's also good having to redo some of this as it pays to stay on top of it.  It won't take me more than half a day to fix those web maps though.

0 Kudos