Basemap and Data Driven Pages

03-03-2010 03:52 PM
BartHound
New Contributor
So, I can generate a DDP from a Basemap, but in the Show Name and Show Page Drop down, I see that If I choose Show Name, the text shows for a second and disappears.  If I select Show Page, I get the 1 of 23176, so it seems like the Show Name is not working as expected.  If I forward two spots, the Show Name, shows as expected, so it does not show my initial 2 Names in the list.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BartHound
New Contributor
Still Pretty Cool though for Basic Atlas like capability, David.
0 Kudos
BartHound
New Contributor
If I re open the Setup when tweaking the Extent Properties, I noticed that the Layer in the Name drop down changes layers.  It should retain the initial layer name set by me, and not change this value. Every other value remains as it was set, but Layer name is now showing ACR_Suvey_Control, rather than what I set it as, which was AOI.  It is showing the first layer in the list that is not an Anno layer, which if I remember was a bug at 92 for MPS Atlas, for which I was a tester on for those milestones.  If I set a new extent, it is not using this change in the recalc, so that is good, but it does show a new layer.

The graphic shows survey control for Layer, but the fields are still set to AOI.
0 Kudos
BartHound
New Contributor
It would be nice to be able to apply a buffer around the edge of the page and best fit to that buffer.  Is this a technical possibility?
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
So, I can generate a DDP from a Basemap, but in the Show Name and Show Page Drop down, I see that If I choose Show Name, the text shows for a second and disappears.  If I select Show Page, I get the 1 of 23176, so it seems like the Show Name is not working as expected.  If I forward two spots, the Show Name, shows as expected, so it does not show my initial 2 Names in the list.

This appears to be fixed in my release candidate build.
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
If I re open the Setup when tweaking the Extent Properties, I noticed that the Layer in the Name drop down changes layers.  It should retain the initial layer name set by me, and not change this value. Every other value remains as it was set, but Layer name is now showing ACR_Suvey_Control, rather than what I set it as, which was AOI.  It is showing the first layer in the list that is not an Anno layer, which if I remember was a bug at 92 for MPS Atlas, for which I was a tester on for those milestones.  If I set a new extent, it is not using this change in the recalc, so that is good, but it does show a new layer.

The graphic shows survey control for Layer, but the fields are still set to AOI.

This is a known issue. I will respond back when I have a NIM.
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
It would be nice to be able to apply a buffer around the edge of the page and best fit to that buffer.  Is this a technical possibility?

Yes, go to Setup Data Driven Pages > Extent Tab > Map Extent > Best Fit > Margin. In the "Specifiy Using" Drop Down, choose Map Units, Page Units or Percentage. In the "Size" text box, enter a value. For example, I can put a 2 inch margin (in page units) around my DDP index feature.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Yes, go to Setup Data Driven Pages > Extent Tab > Map Extent > Best Fit > Margin. In the "Specifiy Using" Drop Down, choose Map Units, Page Units or Percentage. In the "Size" text box, enter a value. For example, I can put a 2 inch margin (in page units) around my DDP index feature.

Ok, I wasn't too sure if that was the buffer, so this is very good to know, I was interpreting this as a buffer around the AOI - Outward, not around the page - inward.
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
For your records, the tracking number for the issue of the DDP Index Layer parameter not retaining base map layers is NIM055385.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Thank You Jeff for the NIM.
0 Kudos