Select to view content in your preferred language

Are user type and roles is the same between the WAB in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8x and Experience Builder in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1?

Jump to solution
12-26-2023 11:27 AM
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Our organization is upgrading to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.  We currently have several WABs that we will need to convert over to 11.1 Experience Builder.  Are the user types and roles the same?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @ABishop ,

The comparison indicates that both ArcGIS WAB and ArcGIS Experience Builder fall under same  App bundle i.e. "Essential Apps" for both ArcGIS Enterprise older version and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x.

At 10.9.1 : 

ArcGIS Web AppBuilder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E... (Web AppBuilder is included with the essential apps)

ArcGIS Experience Builder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E... (ArcGIS Experience Builder is included with the essential apps)

At 11.x (reference 11.1 documentation )

ArcGIS Web AppBuilder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E... (Web AppBuilder is included with the essential apps)

ArcGIS Experience Builder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E...(ArcGIS Experience Builder is included with the essential apps)

Then it would narrow down to the User Type which you assign them and important thing to note would be the following:

• "The Field Worker user type name changed to Mobile Worker in July 2022. You may notice this update when importing a new Portal for ArcGIS license file provisioned from My Esri after July 2022."
  • What capabilities are there on the WAB application and in future would be Experience builder, taking a note of the following would help:
    • EditorEditors can’t analyze, create, or share items or data. This user type includes the Essential Apps Bundle.
    • Fieldworker/Mobile WorkerThese can’t analyze, create, or share items or data. This user type includes the Essential Apps and Field Apps bundles.
    • CreatorThe Creator user type is designed for those who need to create web maps and apps, perform in-depth spatial analysis using the analysis tools in the portal, and work with data using field apps such as ArcGIS Collector. This user type includes the Essential AppsField Apps, and Office Apps bundles.
    • Above is important to note if the WABs currently provide analysis capability to users in the application and in future on Experience builder 

It would also be of good help to check the following as well. These will help in understanding what would be available for you at experience builder and which WABs can be migrated now, which ones not to and which capability to choose for replacement in Experience builder :

Some additional help:

• Will ArcGIS Experience Builder reach functional parity with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder?
  • What are the current plans for ArcGIS Web AppBuilder and ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • ArcGIS Web AppBuilder is retiring. Web AppBuilder leverages the Esri legacy JavaScript API, version 3.x of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript, which will be retired in July 2024. As its underlying technology retires, Web AppBuilder will also retire. The developer edition of Web AppBuilder will retire in July 2024, Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Enterprise will have its final release in the first half of 2025, and Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online will retire in the fourth quarter of 2025.

Current users of ArcGIS Web AppBuilder should consider migrating their apps to ArcGIS Experience Builder. It is recommended that you start new app projects in Experience Builder. For more information and for migration resources, see the Web AppBuilder roadmap for retirement.

• I have created ArcGIS Web AppBuilder apps in ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. Can I migrate them to ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • No. You must reconfigure apps created with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder if you choose to move them to ArcGIS Experience Builder.
  • I have custom widgets built on ArcGIS Web AppBuilder; can I use them with ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • No. While ArcGIS Experience Builder maintains a very similar programming pattern for building custom widgets, all widgets must be rewritten to work within the new framework. ArcGIS Experience Builder is built on ArcGIS API for JavaScript, whereas ArcGIS Web AppBuilder is built on version 3.x of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.
  • More Info :  FAQ—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation

I hope I was able to provide some clarity on the query you had.

Hope it helps!

-Archit

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @ABishop ,

The comparison indicates that both ArcGIS WAB and ArcGIS Experience Builder fall under same  App bundle i.e. "Essential Apps" for both ArcGIS Enterprise older version and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x.

At 10.9.1 : 

ArcGIS Experience Builder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E... (ArcGIS Experience Builder is included with the essential apps)

At 11.x (reference 11.1 documentation )

ArcGIS Experience Builder : An introduction to licensing apps through your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E...(ArcGIS Experience Builder is included with the essential apps)

Then it would narrow down to the User Type which you assign them and important thing to note would be the following:

• "The Field Worker user type name changed to Mobile Worker in July 2022. You may notice this update when importing a new Portal for ArcGIS license file provisioned from My Esri after July 2022."
  • What capabilities are there on the WAB application and in future would be Experience builder, taking a note of the following would help:
    • EditorEditors can’t analyze, create, or share items or data. This user type includes the Essential Apps Bundle.
    • Fieldworker/Mobile WorkerThese can’t analyze, create, or share items or data. This user type includes the Essential Apps and Field Apps bundles.
    • CreatorThe Creator user type is designed for those who need to create web maps and apps, perform in-depth spatial analysis using the analysis tools in the portal, and work with data using field apps such as ArcGIS Collector. This user type includes the Essential AppsField Apps, and Office Apps bundles.
    • Above is important to note if the WABs currently provide analysis capability to users in the application and in future on Experience builder 

It would also be of good help to check the following as well. These will help in understanding what would be available for you at experience builder and which WABs can be migrated now, which ones not to and which capability to choose for replacement in Experience builder :

Some additional help:

• Will ArcGIS Experience Builder reach functional parity with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder?
  • What are the current plans for ArcGIS Web AppBuilder and ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • ArcGIS Web AppBuilder is retiring. Web AppBuilder leverages the Esri legacy JavaScript API, version 3.x of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript, which will be retired in July 2024. As its underlying technology retires, Web AppBuilder will also retire. The developer edition of Web AppBuilder will retire in July 2024, Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Enterprise will have its final release in the first half of 2025, and Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online will retire in the fourth quarter of 2025.

Current users of ArcGIS Web AppBuilder should consider migrating their apps to ArcGIS Experience Builder. It is recommended that you start new app projects in Experience Builder. For more information and for migration resources, see the Web AppBuilder roadmap for retirement.

• I have created ArcGIS Web AppBuilder apps in ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. Can I migrate them to ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • No. You must reconfigure apps created with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder if you choose to move them to ArcGIS Experience Builder.
  • I have custom widgets built on ArcGIS Web AppBuilder; can I use them with ArcGIS Experience Builder?
    • No. While ArcGIS Experience Builder maintains a very similar programming pattern for building custom widgets, all widgets must be rewritten to work within the new framework. ArcGIS Experience Builder is built on ArcGIS API for JavaScript, whereas ArcGIS Web AppBuilder is built on version 3.x of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.
  • More Info :  FAQ—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation

I hope I was able to provide some clarity on the query you had.

Hope it helps!

-Archit