Select to view content in your preferred language

prvc license file requirements for ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder

Jump to solution
04-27-2023 07:54 PM
Labels (2)
JosephSia2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We're using the enterprise cloud builder to deploy into AWS/Azure. Thus far, we've done single server deployments and have not encountered problems doing so.

However, we have a new requirement for a HA deployment and have encountered issues.

JosephSia2_0-1682650002181.png

Currently, we have 2 main questions relating to the error encountered.

1. As this is a HA setup in AWS, do we need 2 licenses? If so, how do we request for a prvc file with 2 licenses in MyESRI?
  2. What's the proper follow up when encountering the error cited above? We'll probably be looking at the cloudformation logs. But we're unsure if this is the anticipated follow up by cloudbuilder to remediate the issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

From this error message I suspect that you haven't configured your DNS CNAME record properly to point to the ALB DNS record. More information can be found here if that is the case.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Taladi
by
Occasional Contributor

@JosephSia2

Have you checked this with the local ESRI License distributor?

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

yes - the cloudformation error log is a good place to start with the trouble shooting.
All we can see from the screen shot is that there was an error after 2 hours - so that sounds like it was almost there.

regarding licenses.
If you are building an HA stack with CloudFormation you will only need one ArcGIS Server license file - if this is just a base ArcGIS Enterprise, an ArcGIS Server Standard license would be OK.
BUT, this must be a license file that covers 2 AWS Availability Zones - so that will consume 2 of your organization's Server licenses (each up to 4 Cores or 8 vCores in AWS). Speak with you License Administrator to get a license file that covers this.
BTW, even if you only have a license file for one AGS license - that wont be the cause of your CF failure.
But if you are trying to re-use a .prvc file you have already installed elsewhere, then that may well be the problem. When the Chef script within the CF template tries to authorize the ArcGIS Server site that has been created. it may be that the Esri licensing management is rejecting the file because it has already been used.

JosephSia2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Good insights into the workings of CloudFormation. I will need to follow up on the license file that covers 2 AWS Availability Zones.

I am indeed trying to re-use a .prvc file. I've previously used this license to deploy a site in Azure using a different domain but that has since been torn down. We're trying to deploy into AWS instead with another domain name. Any idea if Esri licensing management would reject the file because it's a different domain? 

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

If you have already used the .prvc file it cannot be te-used - even if the original site has been decommissioned.

you would need to deauthorise the license file before being able to create a new .prvc

do this on the MyEsri site

in case like yours, where you are experimenting and may need to create and tear down your ArcGIS Server(s), you may wish to turn your new .prvc into a pre-authorised .ecp that can be reused. You do this using the “Secure Site Operations” within the licensing section.

JosephSia2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am familiar with the workflow for the pre-authorised ecp for manual setup and configuration for enterprise. Unfortunately, the workflow and interface for Enterprise Cloud Builder does not appear to provide an option to use the ecp file.

I guess i could try and see what happens if I put the location of the ecp file as an input for where I'm filling in for the prvc file instead the next time. 

0 Kudos
JosephSia2
Occasional Contributor

The following issue observed in cloudformation logs for BaseEnterprise Stack.

JosephSia2_0-1682661319977.png

0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

From this error message I suspect that you haven't configured your DNS CNAME record properly to point to the ALB DNS record. More information can be found here if that is the case.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
JosephSia2
Occasional Contributor

Yes. That was indeed the issue. Enterprise was successfully deployed after i sorted out the DNS configuration. Many thanks.