Select to view content in your preferred language

Required Metadata When Publishing

04-12-2023 08:54 AM
JamesTchorzynski1
New Contributor III

When publishing or registering services to ESRI from ArcGIS Pro or from inside ArcGIS Enterprise I would like to see options for admins to incorporate required metadata from the metadata standard selected. I would also like that these options be controllable for different item types (apps, maps, features, etc.). I would envision the metadata interface coming right after mandatory metadata (reference Current Mandatory Metadata attachment).

By default, the required are title and tags to publish/register content.  I presume this is just inherited as a line of thinking from ArcGIS Online.  However, with on premise systems we need to be able to tailor individual documentation requirements to our business we deployed ArcGIS Enterprise to support.  

For example, if an organization needed to ensure all data was properly classified for security, they need to be able to require the security data be filled in to publish.  This should be something an admin can turn on and mandate users is populated (reference Security Classification Metadata attachment).  The same may hold true for other metadata such as points of contact, citations, access constraints, additional keywords, language, etc.  

In doing so it would be much easier to keep a cleaner house, allow for audits, and apply cleaner governance to our systems that match our business needs.

2 Comments
AmaiaMartinez

Totally agree on this idea! THIS IS A MUST

Come on Esri, Metadata in GIS plays a crucial role in data discovery and evaluation as it is a vital component of geospatial data. 

We need this feature in order to be able to configure some prefilled-metadata and custom policies regarding templates, such as required INSPIRE fields for an Organization, etc. It would be a really useful tool for the administrators on QA tasks.

Please, take into account!

JamesTchorzynski1

@AmaiaMartinez, great points!  Consider providing kudos to this one too:  Customizable Use of Metadata in Filters - Esri Community