Select to view content in your preferred language

Publish Services without Basemap

02-12-2024 12:55 PM
EricMahaffey1
Frequent Contributor

When publishing Web map services in preparation for use in as an Experience Builder app.  It would be nice to be able to publish services to be used as overlay services that don't require a base map.  That way an organizational base map can be added, then overlay services added separately.

4 Comments
Scott_Tansley

Hey Eric, you may need to expand on your workflow here, because what your suggesting is what I've been doing since ArcGIS 9.2...

berniejconnors

Eric,

You can accomplish what you want by using the Layers widget and the Basemap widget in your ExB apps.  You do not need to publish a web map for each layer you want to add to your ExB app.  Just add all of the layers that you want to display in ExB to your web map.  You can set as many or as few of the layers to be "Off" by default when your web map is opened.  Then your users can turn layers on or off as they are needed.  At version 11.2 ExB has an "Add Data" widget that can be used by your users to add additional layers that are not in the web map.

Bernie.

EricMahaffey1

Thanks for the feedback Scott and Bernie.

@Scott Correct, that's why I posted the idea/question.  I've been publishing enterprise services since the days of ArcIMS, and have never been forced to include a basemap.  Basemaps have always been configured separately from the services that we want to overlay.

@berniejconnors I could be wrong, but from what I can tell the Basemap Widget is only available on ArcGIS Online and Enterprise v11.2 (or later as they come out).  I'm working on isolated networks that don't receive updates as often as most systems.  In the older version that I'm working on, the basemap widget seems to be embedded within the map view and doesn't allow any configuration on it.  It's either on or off.  However it does allow the user to change the basemap, which is a good feature.  I'll see if I can come up with a solution like you suggested using the Map Layers widget and the embedded Basemap Widget.

berniejconnors

If the ExB widgets aren't ready you can always use the Web AppBuilder.  The Basemap Gallery, Layers, and Add Data widgets all work great as long as you don't need any of the capabilities of the JS 4.x API.

Eric, you said:  "I've been publishing enterprise services since the days of ArcIMS, and have never been forced to include a basemap.  Basemaps have always been configured separately from the services that we want to overlay."

A service without a basemap is just one of your map services straight from your REST services directory, e.g. https://geonb.snb.ca/arcgis/rest/services/GeoNB_SNB_Parcels/MapServer

Cheers,

Bernie.