Need more granular security in Server 10.2

10-30-2013 08:25 AM
JasonPatterson
New Contributor III
Currently any Role that has Admin or Publisher permissions can see and access all secured services.  It would be beneficial to be able to grant access to services and/or folders to a Role with Admin/Publisher permissions but then prohibit acess to other folders or services that the Role doesn't have access to.

Example:
Folder for Fire Dept and Folder for Police Dept, both secure
- Role FD has access to Fire Dept folder
- Role PD has access to Police Dept folder
If the permission level for each of these Roles are set to User the users in the FD Role cannot access the Police Dept folder.  However...if the FD Role has Admin/Publisher permissions then ALL users in that Role now have access to ALL services and folders within Server even if the Role isn't explicitly added to any other services and folders.
Tags (1)
3 Comments
DerekNalder
I agree, publisher permissions should still me more fine grained and allow a publisher to only see the folder which they have been given permissions to publish to.
AbeCoughlin2
I support this 100% also. I have users who administer applications that ingest ArcGIS map services and as part of their role they modify the related mxd. I currently have them advising me of the change and I re-publish the service for them. Often this requires repeated re-publishing as the map service does not always accurately reflect the mxd map or additional changes are requested by the application user. My only other choice is to give them publishing rights where they can modify any other service potentially impacting the other applications and their associated users. 
MaggieBusek
Status changed to: Closed

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your Idea! There have been many improvements made to security within ArcGIS Enterprise. If your needs are still not met, please log a new Idea explaining any current challenges.

Best,
Maggie