Disable Schema locking on Shared Services

2 weeks ago
Geographic_Mythos
New Contributor III

While working on some migrating services from an older ArcGIS Server site to a new set of machines, I wanted to take advantage of using the 'Shared Services' model for a larger amount of our less utilized services.

Something we frequently enjoy using, so that we do not have extra maintenance to do with these largely unmodified services, is set them to disable Schema Locking. The data is infrequently refreshed, and does not have frequent changes to it's underlying data structure.

Why is it I am able to choose to be able to disable Schema Locking for my other services in Enterprise, but not have the option to have those Shared Services be changed to non-locking services as well?

Can the 'Shared Services' have an option to be non-Schema Locking?

3 Comments
TanuHoque

@Geographic_Mythos 

Our goal is to provide an option that would allow you to control that schema locking for shared instances in 11.3. Please note this option will get applied to **all** shared instances. Either all shared instances are enabled with schema locking or disable. You won't be able to do that for per service basis.

I'm not sure which enterprise release you have. Technically schema locking is disabled for all shared instances, the Manager site doesn't provide any UI option to change that settings. That should change in 11.3.

having schema locking disabled is what you are asking for. Pls let me if I got it wrong. If so, then the current state should be working for you, no?

thanks

Geographic_Mythos

@TanuHoque I believe you got it correct. I want the option to disable Schema Locking for Shared Instances. 

I currently have 11.2 Enterprise deployments we are moving to from a much older release. 

Glad to hear it is coming with 11.3. I am fine with it being an all or nothing solution for my needs presently.

TanuHoque

@Geographic_Mythos 

I want the option to disable Schema Locking for Shared Instances.

Then you should be all good for your workflow. If I recall correctly, in 11.2 'schema locking' is disabled for all shared instances -- that also means that shared instances don't hold any schema locks.