Select to view content in your preferred language

Default ArcGIS server site when sharing as web layer

02-22-2023 01:29 PM
BishwaPandey1
Emerging Contributor

When sharing as web layer (publishing) on ArcGIS Enterprise, the default ArcGIS Server site is always shown as a hosting server. With Federated Server instances, it is better that the default publishing ArcGIS Server site should be configurable. 

2 Comments
DavidHoy

Hello Bishwa,
I believe the intention is to make the publishing/sharing process as straightforward as possible for the greatest number of users. Creating Hosted Services meets this objective. The user does not need to think about where the data is being sourced and whether the server can "see" it.
Using a federated server is available as an option if you know what you are doing and wish to use a User Managed data store.
I think changing the default value away from Hosting Server would not be the optimal solution.

BishwaPandey1
Hi David,
We have a large number of publishers who inadvertently publishes contents on hosting server. I have tried to inform/educate them to choose the right ArcGIS servers but the content lands into hosting server most often. Once the content is used by other downstream applications, moving them is a costly affair.
What I am proposing is - to allow the system admin to select the default publication site (we have two mapping servers federated with the Portal) so that this can be managed a bit better.
Thank you