Consistent Symbology Options Throughout ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Portal

08-17-2022 11:48 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

HEAR YE, HEAR YE

Since the migration to the new Esri community, I think my idea may have gotten left behind, but now worries, I am back to post it again.

I would like to propose to the geospatial community a simple idea: consistency.

Consistency in our symbology choices, to be more specific. I would like to see the same option for symbols in all three major map making platforms: Pro, Online and Enterprise. I know that we cant get ALL of the options or functionality available in Pro into AGOL and Portal, but if we could get some of the better symbology options in AGOL and Portal (classic map viewer too because its the only one that plays nice with Field Maps) that are currently in Pro, that would be fantastic. Also, could we maybe make room by getting rid of some of the obscure symbols in AGOL/Portal? (looking at you weird pixelated cars and "disaster" symbols.)

Thanks!

2 Comments
jcarlson

It's not really about "consistency" so much as "compatibility".

It would be a nice thing to have, and maybe more possible in the future. The big lift is getting everything on AGOL / Portal away from the old Javascript 3.x API, which was incredibly limited in how it handles symbology, and even fairly simple symbols from Pro were just literally not possible.

We're only just getting multi-layer symbology in off-the-shelf AGOL settings. As that develops, then a much larger range of symbology settings will be cross-compatible between Pro and AGOL / Portal.

CaseyS
by

I know the OGC was working on a symbols standards group. It would be nice if there was some sharing of ideas from that group.