Select to view content in your preferred language

Total Black Screen instead of Map (ArcMap)

Jump to solution
04-17-2019 03:31 AM
AndreaPaindelli
Occasional Contributor
Good afternoon,

I write here because I am experiencing some issues with my ArcGIS version. 
Below a little description of what my problem is: 

I have a student License for ArcGIS Desktop with Newcastle University. 

I'm trying to open some maps that I have, but I always have the same problem: I cannot visualize any map. I have just a black screen. 

Checking on the internet it seems like the map "has no spatial references", but I can easily visualize it on other computers, so I don't know where my problem came from. 

I tried to fix this problem following some suggestions found on the internet, but nothing happened. 

I have exactly the same problem, anyway if I try with other maps/shape files. 
You can find a screen attached.
How can I solve this issues?
Thank You in advance,
Andrea 
0 Kudos
17 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Andrea,

You mentioned you see the black screen on an new empty map before any data layer is added.  If this is the case, ArcMap itself is not functioning properly.  Concentrate on that issue instead of the data.  Consider the following:

1.  Local profile.  If you have another account on that machine, log in as that user and start ArcMap.  If you do not have another account, create a new local user.  If ArcMap starts normally, you have a corrupt profile which need to be fix.  If it shows the black screen still, you can rule out local profile as an issue.  

2.  Start ArcCatalog, does it display the same issue?  If it does, there is a problem with the installation of Desktop.  If the issue is isolated to just ArcMap, the installation is likely fine and the issue is specific to just ArcMap.  

3.  At this point, the common issue is either with an add-on for ArcMap that has been corrupt or no longer work with the current version of ArcMap.  At this point, I suggest you contact Esri Technical Support.  An analyst can help you troubleshoot to determine if there is a third party add-on or conflicting GIS application that can cause the issue.   

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue with ArcCatalog. I've noticed that the map is there, below the black square. I can see just for a millisecond and then it disappears. 

I tried to fix the Installation again. Nothing has changed.

Maybe is there any restriction for using ArcGIS on a Virtual Machine?  because I'm running into a Windows 7 on Virtual Box (I'm a Mac User) but I've no problem with every other program I use, so I don't know if this can affect ArcGIS or not.

I already tried to modify VirtualMachine graphics drivers (such as giving more Video Memory), but nothing has changed. Again.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
AndreaPaindelli
Occasional Contributor

Please check the screen-recording.

That's what happens (ArcCatalog example). I can view the map (some rivers) for just some millisec and then it disappears. It's quite strange. 

Is there anyone who ever had this type of problem?

It seems something related to graphic, as suggested by some Users. So I gave to VM high Video memory, the updated DirectX and Open GL, last WIndows SP and more RAM, but it always the same problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

besides previewing in catalog, just confirming that you 'map' is black when you add the shapefile to it... catalog preview is one thing, but confirmation of that in a map would suggest you call tech support

ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

A trick I used before, temporarily disable the graphic card driver.  Everything will be grainy but see if you can start ArcMap without the black screen.  It will at least let you know if the drive is the issue. 

AndreaPaindelli
Occasional Contributor

I tried and it worked. So we got the confirmation that it was the Graphic Card.

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
Occasional Contributor

I got the solution.

I deactivate 3D acceleration on VirtualBox Settings and everything is working now.

I post a screen below.  "Enable 3D acceleration" has to be unselected.

Thank You all Guys