Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple ArcGIS license pools from a single FlexLM installation?

04-26-2016 01:55 PM
NathanielRoth1
New Contributor III

Has anyone tried to run multiple ArcGIS License pools on a single server?

I.e. Our organization has 5/50 (Advanced/Basic) licenses on concurrent use licensing. We'd like to have 3/30 of them available from the license manager on port 27000 and 2/20 on port 27001.

We've been using an options file to control who has access to which set of licenses, but in consultation with ESRI we've discovered that it is incompatible with checking out licenses.

Is this something that can be done easily through manipulating the services.txt file, possibly in conjunction with reissuing license authorizations from ESRI?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sounds awfully complicated. I assume you tried using the RESERVE keyword to restrict license use to different groups or users.

RESERVE—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS for Desktop

If Esri/Flex doesn't support this (you said "We've been using an options file to control who has access to which set of licenses, but in consultation with ESRI we've discovered that it is incompatible with checking out licenses.") that's really a pain.

I would just run two license servers on separate machines and point your user's client machines to those separate machines. They don't take up any serious bandwidth or CPU, if you can find two machines that tend to be high-availability on your network it should work fine. Note they can be either unix or windows. The flex software can easily be used to move licenses around from one machine to another (either by transferring or deauthorize on one and reauthorize on another.)

0 Kudos