Serial Chart - Fill opacity and Connect gaps excluding certain data points

07-05-2022 04:16 PM
Labels (1)
eyohannes
New Contributor II

Hello

I'm trying to make a time vs. company fee chart to display how my company's consulting fee's have fluctuated over the years (I'm working with mock values for now). 

I would like it to look something like this:

eyohannes_0-1657061246580.png(this screenshot is from this Esri events video. Time stamp 7:30 https://youtu.be/50zlRRvygYA)

I attempted to follow the same process with my fee values. However, when I go to 'Series' -> 'Type' -> 'Line' and then turn on 'Connect gaps' this occurs:

eyohannes_1-1657061927138.png

The grey points are the only two projects that have the same company fee (15,000,000) and they are the only two points that connect. The second problem is when I adjust the 'Fill opacity' only half the points are included in that fill. 

My two questions are:

1:  Is it not possible to 'connect gaps' when you have two or more points with the same value?

2: Why are only half the data points included in the shading and the other half excluded? I've been trying to play "spot the difference" to determine what the unshaded points have that that unshaded points don't but I haven't been having much luck - perhaps there is something I've been overlooking in my survey responses that may lead me to some solution. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks !

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

It is the way you have your data structured. Points will connect within the same series, but not across series. You have your dashboard set up to have multiple series, the majority of which only have a single point so there is nothing to connect. It looks like each salary amount is it's own series. You will need to set up your data so all of your values are in the same series. 

single series.png

Or if you are trying to compare rates across different services you would split your chart by the service in the data tab.

multi series.png

- Jen
0 Kudos
eyohannes
New Contributor II

If I wanted to set up my data so all the values are in the same series, is there a formatting tool I can rearrange in the attribution table so that only the Construction cost values - and not the other variables/questions in the survey - can be considered as one series?

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

Depending upon what version of ArcGIS Dashboards you are using, you could use Arcade to create a data expression. Going forward, whenever I make a new survey, I take a minute to think about how I'm going to be using the survey data and what that needs to look like. I use the desired result to help drive my survey design.

Data Expressions Help

Sample Data Expressions

- Jen
0 Kudos