Operations Dashboard live video streaming

10-15-2019 01:47 PM
Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

We are researching the operations dashboard for emergency management purposes. One of the questions we have is it possible to embed a live video feed from a UAV (DJI Drone) into a dashboard? If so, are there specific streaming services you use? Has anyone embedded live streaming through Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Stream?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

Using Litchi [edit: Sorry, DJI Go...not Litchi], I was able to stream from a DJI drone (using the RTMP option) to a Twitch channel, just as a proof of concept.  

I embedded the twitch video stream in an operations dashboard and it worked "fine".  For this  to really be effective, in my opinion, I needed to find a streaming service that supports webhook events on stream start.  My workaround for this was to have the pilot submit a Survey123 form that's basically a "starting stream" event with a lat/lon and a project number.  The project number can be filtered to specific dashboards and auto-zoom to the location when starting a stream using the lat/lon, and the survey submission supports webhooks for notifications.  

Again, it's not really a professional implementation, but it's a decent start.  We don't have much of a need for live streaming though. 

Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. Which DJI drone are you flying?

DerrickWestoby

Primarily the P4p nowadays.  3DR, Sensefly & Custom pixhawks in the past. 

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

By the way, what you're talking about is exactly what got me in to drones 5 or 6 years ago.  I was a full time FF/EMT and wanted to stream video to our dispatch center when we got called out to rural field fires.  I'd hoped to work with "Active911" to develop a solution.