Select to view content in your preferred language

Link a layer to a feature set

05-29-2024 02:38 AM
ECarson
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a map layer that I would like to link to a featureset by a description field. In the featureset from the description field I've created a column of four value types.

In a category selector I tried to use the Grouped Values on the four value types as the selection but I'm unable to link the two by the description field as you can in the Features.

ECarson_3-1716975446325.png

In the Features option I've linked the description fields from both, however the selection category provides a list of 600 values of the four value types, is there anyway to get these grouped to just show the four values?

ECarson_1-1716975170342.png

Thanks for any help, currently using 10.9.2 enterprise.

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A grouped values selector ignores other fields. It would be extremely confusing otherwise, to select "Light vehicle" and have your other items filter on something other than the attribute "Light vehicle".

You might be able to do something with a Data Expression if you reshaped the data a bit. What are the values in the description field, though? Can you share what the data actually looks like?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ECarson
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply, there's about 500 records with a unique description for each. They can be broken into four vehicle categories; Light Vehicle, Heavy Vehicle, Bus & Other. I've created a field in the attribute table via an expression in the Web Map for Vehicle Type, unfortunately his does not carry into the Dashboard. 

ECarson_1-1717050187452.png

I have created a data expression in the category selector, and this is the featureset that I'm trying to join with the IVMS vehicles layer to hopefully group on, but without success

ECarson_3-1717050488331.png

Ultimately I would like to add a field (vehicle type) to the IVMS vehicle layer similar to the web map and allow the category selector to then group on this. Is this possible or do something similar that would allow the grouping to occur and interact with the IVMS layer in the dashboard?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Okay, that makes sense. So, what is the Arcade expression being used in the web map? Can you incorporate that expression into your dashboard's Data Expression somehow?

If it wasn't for the map, I'd say replace everything with Data Expressions, but then you lose the visual component. I think creating a new field and populating it with the vehicle types is probably the most straightforward way of doing this.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ECarson
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

The data is a live feature service, so we don't have direct control over the initial input fields. I reach out to the providers and see what they can do to add in a new field.

Thanks for the responses and feedback.

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If they're not able to add the field, let me know. It's possible we could try something a bit more convoluted if need be. Feel free to share the data URL, too.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ECarson
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately the url is from an enterprise portal (10.9) that can't be shared outside of our network.

I can customize and add a attribute field to the table in web view. Unfortunately this doesn't persist through to the dashboard. Do you know of any to possible add/join a field in dashboard and keep the display links?

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos