edit feature in a dashboard

Jump to solution
01-19-2021 01:43 AM
Labels (1)
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to edit/update features displayed on a dashboard, for example to mark a feature as deleted.

Editing works fine on the underlying webmap; click the feature, update a description or click 'delete', voilá.

That feature on that map in the dashboard displays the popup without editing capability, how can I change that?

thanks, Bert

edit:

For the moment I found this post Linking one dashboard to another  from which describes how to link (to another dashboard) I found this to be able to link to the underlying webmap where I can edit the feature, a work around. Not an elegant solution though, navigating back to the dashboard is not obvious ...

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @BertKraan1 ,

I would like to edit/update features displayed on a dashboard, for example to mark a feature as deleted.

This is not a supported workflow - the ability to edit features in a dashboard; and is by design. The purpose of a dashboard is to be a "presentation" display of your information. 

A workaround you could do: Use ArcGIS Web AppBuilder and create a simple editing app with the same web map, then use the Embedded Content element to "insert" the Web AppBuilder app in your dashboard. This will give you editing functionality in the dashboard, but there will not be any interactivity between the app and the other dashboard elements. 

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @BertKraan1 ,

This is not a supported workflow - the ability to edit features in a dashboard; and is by design. The purpose of a dashboard is to be a "presentation" display of your information. 

A workaround you could do: Use ArcGIS Web AppBuilder and create a simple editing app with the same web map, then use the Embedded Content element to "insert" the Web AppBuilder app in your dashboard. This will give you editing functionality in the dashboard, but there will not be any interactivity between the app and the other dashboard elements. 

Hope this helps,

mwhite20wes
New Contributor

Lack of ability to simply allow editing of a field in a dashboard is frustrating.  I get the initial thinking, but seems like folks were underestimating the uses/ways a dashboard might be used and preferred to an app.  Hope they change their mind on this moving forward.