Select to view content in your preferred language

Dashboard serial chart - grouped values best practices for statistic type

07-06-2023 05:13 PM
Labels (1)
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

I regularly incorporate serial charts in my dashboards. I want to make sure I’m using the best approach given the structure of my data.

For example, I have a feature layer that includes three columns – month_year, location, and percentage change.

When I create the chart, the “Grouped values” option seems to give me what I want: I can select month_year as the "Category" field, I can select location in the "Split by field" dropdown, and change_pct in the "Field" dropdown. That yields the desired line graphs.

I'm puzzled by the "Statistic" dropdown, though. It gives options for Count, Average, Minimum, Maximum, Sum and other math calculations. There’s nothing for a fixed value. The change_pct variable will be the same whatever I choose given that each year/location combination has  a single change_pct value. Is there a choice that reflects this scenario in the Statistics dropdown?

JimMiller3_0-1688687958616.png

I’ve tried making a chart with “Categories from Features,” but I can't get the functionality I want. If I choose the month_year variable as the Category field, there’s no option to split on the location variable. If I choose location as the Category field, I don’t see a way to split on month_year.

Choosing “Categories from Fields” also doesn’t do it.

Am I missing something? Thank you for any advice.

0 Kudos
0 Replies