Dashboard action - zoom map to extent of data

Jump to solution
07-09-2020 10:16 AM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

I have a precinct-level #election results dashboard from our county Primary:

Primary Precinct-level Results Dashboard

One thing I'd like to be able to do for the General Election is to have the results map zoom to the extent of the data for a local race when that race is selected via the Selectors on the left pane.  In many cases the local races only encompass a small part of our overall geography. 

Is there any way to do this in #Dashboard?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jay,

Nice elections dashboard - thanks for sharing!

> One thing I'd like to be able to do for the General Election is to have the results map zoom to the extent of the data for a local race when that race is selected via the Selectors on the left pane. 

Currently, selectors are not able to apply a spatial filter on the Map element. Sorry, this is not supported. Please submit an enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas site for ArcGIS Dashboards.

A possible workaround: you could define spatial bookmarks in the web map, which could be leveraged in the dashboard. These won't be "linked" to the selectors, but it does enable an end user to apply spatial filters on the map to zoom into a specific "local race area".

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Jay,

Nice elections dashboard - thanks for sharing!

> One thing I'd like to be able to do for the General Election is to have the results map zoom to the extent of the data for a local race when that race is selected via the Selectors on the left pane. 

Currently, selectors are not able to apply a spatial filter on the Map element. Sorry, this is not supported. Please submit an enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas site for ArcGIS Dashboards.

A possible workaround: you could define spatial bookmarks in the web map, which could be leveraged in the dashboard. These won't be "linked" to the selectors, but it does enable an end user to apply spatial filters on the map to zoom into a specific "local race area".

Hope this helps

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Thanks Derek.  2020 is shaping up to be "the Year of the Dashboard" in our community!

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DerekLaw

Hi Jay,

> 2020 is shaping up to be "the Year of the Dashboard" in our community!

If you have other dashboards that you can share, I would be interested in seeing them. I am always interested in seeing how dashboards are being used by the GIS community. Happy dashboarding!

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Thanks for the interest Derek.

Of course, like almost everyone else we have a COVID-19 dashboard:  COVID-19 - Washoe County Impact - COVID19 

One unique thing we've just started doing with dashboards in Washoe County, NV is wrapping them in a "hoster" that detects the height/width of the client browser.  In this way, we can design one dashboard for desktop, a second for mobile-portrait and a third dashboard for mobile -landscape, detect which is most appropriate in the client and dynamically point to that dashboard.  Or, if we have a dashboard that really only works in landscape on mobile, we can display a message telling the user to rotate their device.  Here is an example of the hoster in action, using the Election results dashboard:

Primary 2020 Canvassed Results 

You can see the effect by opening this link in desktop and re-sizing your browser window to simulate a small display in portrait orientation and then in landscape orientation.  Hoster dynamically responds to changes int eh browser window aspect.  I think Experience Builder might now do something like this(?), but haven't had a chance to dive into that.

We are also just about ready to unveil a dashboard on law enforcement use of force statistics, broken down by race; just waiting on the final approval from the Sheriff's office.  I'll post a link to that once we go live.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DerekLaw

Belated thanks Jay for sharing your COVID-19 dashboard and the additional feedback.

> One unique thing we've just started doing with dashboards in Washoe County, NV is wrapping them in a "hoster" that detects the height/width of the client browser.  ... I think Experience Builder might now do something like this(?), but haven't had a chance to dive into that.

Yes, please take a look at this blog, Two dashboards, one intelligent URL 

Looking forward to seeing your law enforcement dashboard,

0 Kudos
SigLM
by
New Contributor III

Hello, I'm new to using ArcGis dashboards. I just encountered exactly the same problem as you. Is this enhancement now available on ArcGis Dashboard ?

0 Kudos
SigLM
by
New Contributor III

Hello, I'm new to using ArcGis dashboards. I just encountered exactly the same problem as you. Is this enhancement now available on ArcGis Dashboard?

0 Kudos