Select to view content in your preferred language

Can someone please help with creating live dashboard

Jump to solution
04-20-2024 06:53 AM
DrJumaKhudonazarov
Frequent Contributor

I am planning to create a live dashboard using Survey123.  The only way can create a dashboard is to create a feature layer and this requests Zipp/compressed file so as I compress the data it becomes static and does not feed the dashboard with newly entered data. So I can create a dead dashboard using URLs from feature layers but it is not updating the data. I have tried to use the Survey123  URL link but never worked maybe  I doing something wrong?

can someone please navigate me?

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I am planning to create a live dashboard using Survey123

Awesome, a great idea!

The only way can create a dashboard is to create a feature layer and this requests Zipp/compressed file so as I compress the data it becomes static and does not feed the dashboard with newly entered data

This is not correct. Yes, Dashboards leverage Hosted Feature Layers, but you don't need to create a new feature layer.

Publishing a survey from Survey123 creates a Hosted Feature Layer and Hosted Feature Layer Views in your ArcGIS Online account content page. You can:

1. Sign into ArcGIS Online
  2. Go to the folder Survey-SurveyName to find the hosted feature layer associated with your survey.
  3. Create a new Hosted Feature Layer View (never share the original service and be mindful of editing settings)
  4. Create a map/dashboard and use the newly created feature layer view.

Just remember that the Survey form, folder and Hosted Feature layer should NOT be renamed/moved as this could break the Survey123 website/app from functioning correctly.

View solution in original post

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I would disagree - you don't need to use the results view created by Survey123, and I'd actively recommend not using it for ArcGIS Online app creation. It's easier and better to create a new View layer specifically for the intended workflow.

This allows you to configure the View and maps/apps using it without impacting the ability of the Survey123 website to function. e.g. if you used the 'results' View for a dashboard, but later wanted to add a filter to hide records, you could also inadvertently hide the results from the Survey123 results website. Same considerations for enabling editing. Easier to close/open access if you have a View specific to the workflow.

0 Kudos
DrJumaKhudonazarov
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all  great tips  and helpful  to learn  after your advice finally i managed  to create the  dashboard  I want 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I am planning to create a live dashboard using Survey123

Awesome, a great idea!

The only way can create a dashboard is to create a feature layer and this requests Zipp/compressed file so as I compress the data it becomes static and does not feed the dashboard with newly entered data

This is not correct. Yes, Dashboards leverage Hosted Feature Layers, but you don't need to create a new feature layer.

Publishing a survey from Survey123 creates a Hosted Feature Layer and Hosted Feature Layer Views in your ArcGIS Online account content page. You can:

1. Sign into ArcGIS Online
  2. Go to the folder Survey-SurveyName to find the hosted feature layer associated with your survey.
  3. Create a new Hosted Feature Layer View (never share the original service and be mindful of editing settings)
  4. Create a map/dashboard and use the newly created feature layer view.

Just remember that the Survey form, folder and Hosted Feature layer should NOT be renamed/moved as this could break the Survey123 website/app from functioning correctly.

JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

I would add that you will need to use the _results view from your survey in the dashboard. This is created for you if you use the web designer to create your surveys. If you use Connect, you can force the creation of this view by sharing the results of the survey with your org or a group (you can then immediately unshare it if you wish). 

What are the form and results hosted feature layer views used for in ArcGIS Survey123?

- Jen
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I would disagree - you don't need to use the results view created by Survey123, and I'd actively recommend not using it for ArcGIS Online app creation. It's easier and better to create a new View layer specifically for the intended workflow.

This allows you to configure the View and maps/apps using it without impacting the ability of the Survey123 website to function. e.g. if you used the 'results' View for a dashboard, but later wanted to add a filter to hide records, you could also inadvertently hide the results from the Survey123 results website. Same considerations for enabling editing. Easier to close/open access if you have a View specific to the workflow.

0 Kudos
DrJumaKhudonazarov
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all  great tips  and helpful  to learn  after your advice finally i managed  to create the  dashboard  I want 

0 Kudos