Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom Label Ordering for Charts (Dashboards)

07-05-2024 12:12 PM
lzk222
by
New Contributor III

I would like to bring more attention to this issue https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/slice-label-reordering/td-p/381068

My layer has these categories ordered like so:

lzk222_0-1720206594573.png

However, when I bring this layer into Dashboards and create a pie chart, the default order is like so:

lzk222_1-1720206638895.png

The sort by options are insufficient for my purposes, neither option here allows for the correct label order to be generated:

lzk222_2-1720206691482.png

It would be great if ESRI could add a custom sort option for Dashboard charts.

1 Comment
AlderMaps

As a workaround for the time being, you could add a coded value domain (or "list", if you are just working in AGOL/Enterprise) to this field and use the value in the domain to ensure your values are ordered correctly for e.g. Dashboards.

So your coded values would look like this:

1 - Complete
2 - Under Construction
3 - Pre-Construction
4 - Design and Permitting

...and the descriptions in the domain would look just like the values you have now (i.e. without the number prefixes). As long as you use the domains in the data (i.e. not hand-jamming values), you should then be able to bring this data into a Dashboard and it will all just work and sort the way you intend; you would just have to select that field to sort on. Also the domain will ensure/enforce data integrity.