Relationship Classes & Collector For Vessel Management

02-19-2018 10:19 AM
SageTezak1
New Contributor II

After recently upgrading from ArcGIS® for Desktop Basic to Standard, I now need to rework my database structure and workflow. I now have the ability to create relationship classes, but I'm at a loss at how best to move forward!

We conduct monthly surveys of vessels on the water using an iPad and the Collector app. The data fields that are dynamic between surveys are: Vessel Location, Vessel Status (new vessel, status quo from previous survey, vessel in new location) and Images. The remaining data fields are relatively static from survey to survey. There may be updates to vessel registration or the condition of the vessel, but the vessel type, length, and width will not change (unless a more precise determination is made).

Following each monthly survey we have point locations for vessels present during the survey, as well as the attributes of each vessel present. Typically we see between three to six new vessels per survey, and up to four vessels may be observed in a new location. I would like to preserve/archive the results of each vessel survey.

Ideally, using Collector, after marking a location (vessel), I would pick the Vessel ID from a drop down list, and then all the vessel information (vessel status, vessel length, vessel type, etc.) is displayed. I would then have the ability to make any updates and attach images before submitting. Is this possible? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you also looked at Survey123 for ArcGIS? After reading over your goals, this may be a better option:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/10/27/the-pulldata-function-access-external-da... 

You can still use the current location of the vessel, but the application is more form-centric than Collector is

0 Kudos
SageTezak1
New Contributor II

Thank you for this suggestion. I've looked into this, and this may be a good option. My next question is, can I edit the data after I use the pulldata () function? From what I can tell, the imported data is not editable. Please advise.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sage, you may want to ask this in the Survey123 forum

0 Kudos
SageTezak1
New Contributor II

Thanks!

0 Kudos