Make related tables editable without editing geometry of the feature layer

12-18-2022 02:50 PM
StanLebrun
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Field Maps in my 10.9.1 Enterprise environment. I've created a web may with reference feature layers  from my ArcGIS Server (not hosted feature layers in portal). The web map contain a feature layer that has a related table which is being used as an inspection form in ArcGIS Field Maps. In order to allow the field users to access and create new entry in the related table, both the related table and the associate feature layer had to be publish with editing capability ( add, update and deleting feature). In my case I also needed the field user to edit the attribute table of the associate feature, but not the geometry. 

The issue I am confronted with is that I would like the field user to be able to create new entries in the related table, which is my inspection form and also be able to update the associated feature layer's attribute table. This could only be done it seems like by publishing the related table and the associated feature layer with add, update and deleting feature editing capability. Publishing with "Update features only" will not allow the field user in ArcGIS Field Maps to create a new entry in the related table.   However, I don't want the field user to accidently delete any geometry from the associated feature layer.

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer a work around, any documentation or suggestion that may lead to a solution.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWillson
New Contributor II

I am running into a similar issue as well, outside I don’t want them to edit the feature layer at all, only the inspection/related table. I’ll keep digging, but I hope you get an answer.

0 Kudos
StanLebrun
New Contributor II

Tim,

Thank you for relying to my post. I really appreciate you looking in to this. I am looking into it myself and so far I have not found anything. 

0 Kudos
TimWillson
New Contributor II

Stan,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. The best I've been able to do is to disable editing of the feature itself in MapViewer. But have Add/Update checked in the Settings of the Feature Layer. This allowed me to Add to the related table but still maintain the Feature Layer. Obviously, it still doesn't allow to Add new features to the hosted layer, but for my purposes, I don't need them to.

TimWillson_0-1675169067507.png

0 Kudos
JiaJia
by
New Contributor II

Hello, I have similar issue. Turning off Editing will stop both geometry and attribute editing in the hosted Feature layer, however, we need the field worker to edit the attribute of the feature layer. Our scenario is: when using the field map, the field worker can only add the attributes of the hosted feature layer and add the new record to the related table, he/she can't create/update any geometry in the field map. I wonder if ESRI has any solution on this?

MattyMaps
New Contributor III

I have the same issue as you. Has anyone contact ESRI to implement this enhancement?

0 Kudos