Layer projection when collecting high accuracy GPS data

Jump to solution
04-02-2021 05:39 AM
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am just wondering if it is important to consider the projection of layers when uploading them to collector. 

Right now, I have been uploading layers that are projected in NAD83 State Plane, to maps that are projected in the WGS84 Web Mercator.  Since my map is in the WGS84, and I am pairing with a R1 receiver that is using the SBAS correction, I believe that the default location profile will be fine.  Is that the case?  I am under the impression that the map projects my layers on the fly to WGS84 and all edits done on collector get re-projected back to the original layers projection after being submitted.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This used to be a bigger deal and the software keeps getting better at doing these things for us. However, I really like to avoid unnecessary projections and especially geotransformations when possible to 1) maximize performance and 2)  geotransformations (like nadcon) are really warps, not mathematically defined, so you can introduce error going back and forth a lot. So when I set up a web feature service I recommend using WGS84 Web Mercator, and project the data when I copy back down to desktop. I am curious what others have to say.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This used to be a bigger deal and the software keeps getting better at doing these things for us. However, I really like to avoid unnecessary projections and especially geotransformations when possible to 1) maximize performance and 2)  geotransformations (like nadcon) are really warps, not mathematically defined, so you can introduce error going back and forth a lot. So when I set up a web feature service I recommend using WGS84 Web Mercator, and project the data when I copy back down to desktop. I am curious what others have to say.

Hoodtan
New Contributor

Following this post. 

I have a similar issue to the OP, and am curious what others have to say as well. Thanks for your insight curtvprice. 

0 Kudos