How do I download an ESRI basemap for offline use?

06-17-2019 07:41 PM
Kenai_Watershed_Forum_
New Contributor

I need to use Arc Collector offline and am trying to use the ESRI World Imagery Basemap. I have found the "tiled" World Imagery basemap for export, but can't seem to figure out how to make it available for download. I am using iPads without cellular service, so they only work when connected to WiFi right now. The area I need imagery for is approximately 6 million acres, but that's at a course resolution. I really only need high resolution imagery (1:5,000 scale) for smaller areas of approx 10,000 acres each.

I have been researching how to create a tile package for offline use, but it is unclear to me how to do this with ESRI's basemaps within the ArcGIS Online environment. I deleted any copies of feature layers I had made, as I read this can be problematic.

Thanks,

Katherine

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katherine --

With Collector, there are two ways to get a basemap offline:

1. Make a map package (TPK) that you'd sideload to the device. This isn't supported with the World Imagery basemap available through ArcGIS Online.
  2. Download map areas through the Collector app. This can use the World Imagery basemap available through ArcGIS Online, but does have limited size for each map area. I did a test using the World Imagery basemap in my area, and I could make a 16,000 acre area at 1:5000 scale (you'd need to try this for your areas of interest, as the size of the packages isn't an exact mapping to the size of the area and the scale -- I found my map area to be about 9MB).

For downloading map areas through Collector, you have two options, too. One is that the app user defines the area to take offline (creating on-demand map areas), and the other is to make preplanned map areas in ArcGIS Online and have your users just download them in the app. It sounds like preplanned map areas are going to be a good choice for you: In ArcGIS Online you'll specify areas and their levels of detail, and then in Collector your mobile workers pick the areas they need and download them. (Since you are using iOS, I've assumed you are using the latest Collector app, as Collector Classic doesn't support preplanned map areas.)

You can learn more about creating preplanned offline map areas in Create, edit, and manage map areas in the ArcGIS Online help. You can learn more about making maps for offline use in Collector in Prepare for offline data collection in the Collector help.

Esri Education Team
AndrewCroisier
New Contributor III

Hi Kylie - On your second point about taking default ESRI basemaps offline in Collector; is this the intended workflow for Field Maps as well? Will we be able to take default basemaps offline? Which imagery basemap are you using? I find that the downloads fail with no error message other than "Download Failed"

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew -- I just tested using the "Imagery" basemap in the default basemap gallery (it points to World_Imagery (MapServer)). I made a map that is just that basemap. In the Field Maps app, I was able to "Add Offline Area" and take an area offline. Then in ArcGIS Online I used the same map, created a map area, and then successfully used Field Maps to take that map area offline. So my downloads are working with just the basemap.

This will be a supported workflow for going offline with Field Maps. Mobile map packages (MMPKs) made in ArcGIS Pro are also supported, although I believe they won't be editable. (I'm no longer on the field apps team. Colin Lawrence knows more, and can also help more with the error you are seeing when you try to download your map.)  

Esri Education Team
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew Croisier‌,

Because you are using iOS we can capture the logs for the download failure you are seeing and perhaps gather more information.

In Collector, access your Profile menu in the top left of the Maps screen. At the bottom of this menu tap Troubleshooting and toggle on Logging. Attempt to download the Offline Area again; if it fails, return to the Troubleshooting screen and check the logs. You can copy the results here if necessary.

Field Maps will behave in much the same way the Collector does as Kylie Donia‌ noted. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
AndrewCroisier
New Contributor III

Hi Colin - I'm looking at this issue again now. I find that when a default ESRI basemap is selected, the map cannot be taken offline. I though we had to add a specific "Offline Capable" version of the default ESRI basemaps. 

What are the "For Export" basemaps? https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eaee8760ed754019a964a6d785613a50

Our organization does not use iOS and we cannot enable logging in Collector

0 Kudos