Starting with City Engine

05-21-2014 06:43 PM
CarmaGerber
New Contributor
Hello

I am looking to create a 3D interior model.

When I start City Engine I click through the wizard and end up with a city template.

Is there any way I can start with a blank canvas and add a layer (i.d. a CAD layer)?

Many thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
Hi Carma,

Welcome to the CityEngine community!

I believe you will need to create a new project. Then the first step is to create a new scene. This can be done in the main menu via �??File �?? New... �?? CityEngine �?? CityEngine scene. The name of the CityEngine scene can now be entered and after pressing Finish, the new project is created.

Autodesk's AutoCAD files can be imported into the CityEngine. This can be done by invoking the import wizard in the File menu, e.g. �??File �?? Import... �?? CityEngine Layers �?? DXF Import for .dxf files.

There are a lot of tutorials and resources online and among them, I will recommend you read the quick start guide first: http://cehelp.esri.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.procedural.cityengine.help/html/quickstart/cemodeli...

Good luck and have fun! Hope it help!

Raymond
0 Kudos
CarmaGerber
New Contributor
Thanks Raymond!

I'm currently working my way through the video tutorials which I am finding very helpful. I will also make myself familiar with the help document as you have suggested.

I'm very much a beginner with CityEngine and look forward to getting to know it!

Regards,
Carma Gerber
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
Hi Carma,

I am glad you are progressing! If the quick start link helps, do mark the post as the answer so that it helps others. 🙂

Raymond
0 Kudos