Exporting to ArcScene

02-07-2013 04:19 AM
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
I used the format: Esri FileGDB to export my model from CityEngine, and now I want to bring it into ArcScene, but I can't seem to figure out how.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
ScottFujikawa
New Contributor III
Hi,
I've gotten that same error message occasionally and usually it means that I have been trying to export something that has too much texture or rasters too large (like the terrain imagery) for the exporter memory to process. (I 'm working on an old XP machine with only 4GB of memory) Try exporting just one or two buildings to see if the whole process is working for you.
Scott
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Nope, same thing.  I have 12GB of memory.

I called into ESRI support, and they had me to try the collada format, which worked, but then bringing it into ArcScene, ArcScene froze and closed.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Nicole ..

Try not to use Collada but .kml. Using Collada is dangerous for the exact same reason as in this thread here :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/59442-FBX-export-%28models%29-to-3DSMAX

Try using kml for the export. Then use the GP tool 'kml to layer' to import the model into ArcScene.

m.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
I have done the kml to layer, but ArcScene was taking days for it to convert.  Is that normal?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

Should not take days .. That seems something for Esri support ..

Maybe check the polycount ..

[[ Tip : Test your workflows always just on maybe 1 building or 1 street segment. Then, if all works grow the amount of data you transport at a time.. ]]
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
OK, I will try that.  Thanks!

When I tried one segment, I got an error message saying that there were "no features found for processing".
0 Kudos