exporting to ArcScene

08-30-2012 12:36 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
So I've been experimenting with exporting my scene in collada to ArcScene and seem to be running into a problem, when I bring it into ArcScene my buildings become wonky, as shown in the picture below! I think this might have something to do with the elevation layer not being exported to ArcScene with it? Anyway any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

Collada is not a file format which is designed to port geolocated data due to precision limitation. Use kml instead.

Read this thread carefully, it's basically the same problem :

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/59442-FBX-export-%28models%29-to-3DSMAX

hope this helps ! 🙂

matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I had a look at that but I'm a bit confused now about how to bring it into ArcScene. I cannot bring it in directly or using the Import 3D Files (3d Analyst) tool as it doesn't support KML format. The only other thing I could find was the KML to layer converstion but this just brings it in as a line. What am I missing here?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi.

There should be ways to import the kml files properly into ArcGIS. I did this a few times by converting ( as you mention ) to a layer. I am not a ArcGIS PRO at all, so you may try to find the answer on this via Esri Support.

Nevertheless : CE 2012 ( due Sept. 12th ) supports textured MultiPatches, so you can directly export your geo to a GDB as MP.

Ok ?
0 Kudos