A client is looking to create a scene in CityEngine using Esri.lib assets (trees, cars, people, etc.). Once the scene is completed, they want to export the entire model into an OBJ, and share the OBJ with the public as part of their Open Data initiative, meaning that the public will be able to download the OBJ and use the file in whatever way they want.
Does anybody have information about usage rights of these Esri.lib assets? If the scene is converted into an exported format and released to the public, then the public potentially has access to the assets that were integrated into the scene for further modification/manipulation. I can't find whether there is a restriction on the assets, or if they are part of the creative commons/public domain.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your question.
Unfortunately I need to tell you, that it is not possible to redistribute Esri.lib assets (trees, cars, people, etc.) under a different license as defined in the CityEngine end user license agreement in Section 4.
The EULA.pdf is located in
4.2 Permitted Uses
- Customer may only use Data in connection with the Products with which Esri has provided the Data.
- Customer may include representations of the Data in hard copy or static, electronic formats (e.g., PDF, GIF, JPEG) in presentation packages, marketing studies, or other reports or documents containing map images or data summaries derived from the use of Esri Product(s) to third parties subject to restrictions set forth in this License Agreement, provided that Customer affixes an attribution statement to the Data representations acknowledging Esri and/or its applicable licensor(s) as the source of the portion(s) of the Data used for the Data representation.
- Customer may take ArcGIS Online basemaps offline through Esri Content Packages and subsequently deliver (transfer) them to any device for use exclusively with licensed ArcGIS Runtime applications, ArcGISDesktop, and ArcGIS API for Flex apps.
- Esri does not acquire any rights in Customer data under this Agreement.
4.3 Use Restrictions
- Customer may not act directly or authorize its customers to cobrand Data, use the Data in any unauthorized service or product, or offer Data through or on behalf of any third party.
- Customer may not use or allow third parties to use Data for the purpose of compiling, enhancing, verifying, supplementing, adding to, or deleting from compilation of information that is sold, rented, published, furnished, or in any manner provided to a third party.
means any commercially available digital dataset(s), including, but not limited to, geographic vector data, raster data reports, or associated tabular attributes, that Esri bundles with other Esri Offerings or delivers independently. Data excludes any Content that persons other than Esri employees, suppliers, or contractors may directly contribute to Esri's website