Drawing tools

09-13-2013 12:53 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III
Just installed CE 2012 trial (upgrade from 2011).  The new drawing tools are supercool but, unless I'm being dim, one tiny piece of functionality has gone missing:

-the ability to inhibit snapping by pressing SHIFT... it's still listed in help... am I doing something wrong, those big orange dots get in the way?

Oh, and 'rectangular shape creation'... am I right - the rectangle only aligns to the axes or an adjacent shape?  It would be much more useful if we could draw rotated rectangles (yes I know we can do this with right-angle snap on the polygon draw tool but finding those snap angles takes longer).
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenLeslie1
Hmm, I'm having second thoughts about how supercool the new drawing tools are.  Certainly some aspects of them are but other aspects are not so good as far as I can tell.

If I draw a nice clean rectangle then another one partially abutting it I get additional vertices in the original shape - these can cause gable roofs to be drawn incorrectly so I find I have to manually delete the additional vertices to get a good roof.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

the shape creation tool was changed completely from 2011 to 2012. it's working enirely different.

check tutorial 14 ( 3 parts ) :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/64843-CityEngine-Collection-RESOURCES-FAQ-HELP

For the upcoming CityEngine 2013, the tool has been improved a LOT, to make it much more stable towards producing correct geometries.

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Ah thank you this helps - I see now that SHIFT inhibits the joining of shapes but I still believe the ability to inhibit snapping completely has gone missing - I think it would be useful, I hope it returns in 2013.
0 Kudos