Select to view content in your preferred language

Loading existing attribute data for a new site

05-17-2018 03:23 PM
JackBoyd
New Contributor III

I've loaded an excel data file with 20-50 site names, addresses and a dozen or so custom attributes and successfully created a site layer that works as expected.  What's the best way to add a new site or two to that layer so that the new site picks up the attributes meta data of the existing layer?   I tried to create a new site in the point site layer hoping that when I moved it to the existing layer, it would pick up the attribute meta data but no luck. Thanks for your help.  

3 Replies
PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jack,

You can do that by using the Import File workflow. Choose the Create and save sites for all points option in the end. This creates a new layer within Point Locations with your custom attributes from excel. You can then make this new layer a target layer in the Project panel. Adding any sites then will pick up the custom attributes meta data. Let me know if this doesnt help.

Thanks,

Praveen

JackBoyd
New Contributor III

Hi.  I am able to import additional single sites with custom attributes by importing from an excel spreadsheet that has been populated with a header row with the same attributes.  After successfully adding a number of individual sites,  I have a file that will import successfully but looses all its attributes when added to a suitability analysis.  I can view all the attributes on the map tool-tip; However, when I add this site to others in a suitability analysis using the 'add criteria' and then 'add attributes,' I loose all the custom attributes in the suitability analysis.  If I remove the site from the analysis, the attributes in the other sites appear in the suitablity analysis.  I've copied the text/data from the offending excel spreadsheet and manually entered the data into another excel file that worked previously but with no success.  It appears there may be a mis-aligned meta data that keeps the suitability from running.  Is there a way to view the meta data for the sites to confirm?  I have over a 100 sites working fine with the same custom attributes, have added additional ones with 1-line excel files with success as well.  However, I can't seem to get the data from this one site to the party.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. 

DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi Jack,

You are correct that the meta data for the existing and added sites must all be aligned to use the attributes in Suitability Analysis.  The attributes from the added sites must exactly match the existing imported site attributes, with the same variable name type and attribute type.  It is sometimes difficult to see the difference just by viewing the Excel file because there may be some formatting differences between the existing sites and the added ones.  You might try creating a new Excel sheet and copying all the sites, including the new sites so that all cells and columns having matching names, formatting and types. 

Thank you for using Business Analyst Web,

Donna