sharing build files

05-03-2017 05:07 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After building the installation files using AppStudio, they are saved and available from within AGOL in the 'My Apps' folder. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to then 'Share' those build files using the standard AGOL process, so that other agol users could download the install file directly from agol.

But for some reason, the 'share' option in agol for these files is disabled. Does anyone know if this was a change in agol and why? Or can I do something to enable sharing these files again?

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KaushikMysorekar
New Contributor III

If by installation files you mean the executables then this might be intentionally designed (sharing disabled) to prevent malicious use.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kaushik

thanks for the reply. Yes I am referring to the executables.

If it was intentionally done to prevent malicious use, I'd be interested to know what the thinking behind that was. What would a user do with that file that would be a security risk?

I would control who I share it with so the risk is not in who accesses it. 

Currently I just download it and send it directly to the person I would have otherwise shared it with, so I don't see any material difference between me sending it to them and me 'sharing' it with them and allowing them to download it.

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
KaushikMysorekar
New Contributor III

Hi Paul,

It's no different than a common security risk that might arise from sharing a bad/malicious executable. An executable is a self contained binary code that's ready to be installed on a machine with specific instructions.

If credentials are shared or group access is enabled in your Org, then multiple users have access to the same items as you do for sharing - if it was enabled, hence probably the reason.

If an exe needs to be shared; it first should be downloaded and then shared through other means.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos