Select to view content in your preferred language

Limit LOD's when using ESRI aerials?

08-26-2014 11:07 AM
deleted-user-Jie3eyjOl9XM
Deactivated User

I've got a Silverlight application. On the map, the first layer added is ESRI's world aerials. The second layer is our own tiled layer. Both layers use the same spatial reference. My problem is that the full extent of ESRI's data is the whole world, with 20 LOD's. But, the full extent of my data is much smaller, with 10 LOD's. I don't want the user to zoom beyond the extent of our data. So, I want the tiling scheme of the map to be set by my data, but I want my data to be displayed on top of ESRI's data.

I've tried a few thing.

1) Use the ConstrainExtent behavior. This prevents the user from zooming beyond my data's extent. But, since there are still 20 LOD's defined for the map, the zoom slider is broken, because it still thinks there are 20 steps, and 10 of them are in the same spot. Hard to explain, but clearly broken.

2) Set the ESRI layer to ArcGISDynamicTiledMapServiceLayer. This allows the my data to set the tiling scheme, but of course ESRI's data is served dynamically. and it's too slow.

3) Set MaxResolution on the aerial layer. This just causes the aerials to disappear when zoomed out beyond the MaxRes, but the map still zooms out through all 20 LOD's.

Is there something else I should do? Seems like there would be an obvious solution that I'm missing.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
deleted-user-Jie3eyjOl9XM
Deactivated User

I may have answered my own question, almost. I can set MaximumResolution on the map itself. This has a similar effect to the ConstrainExtent behavior, but the Zoom Slider only shows 10 steps, which is good. The "Full Extent" button will zoom out to the Max Resolution, but it will be centered over a point in Africa.

0 Kudos