Empty feature template in Silverlight app

07-01-2010 01:16 PM
PaulHarbulak
New Contributor
I've developed a Silverlight web application for testing custom editing functionality and I am able to edit my feature service (which uses a feature class in PostgreSQL).  However, for the life of me I can't get the default feature template to work on the feature layer.  My feature layer is symbolized using a green outline symbol.  When I begin drawing a new polygon it appears as a black outline but when the new polygon is completed it disappears--it doesn't have any symbology and it doesn't take the symbology of the feature layer unless I completely refresh the web app.  Also, if I try adding a TemplatePicker control, the feature layer's template is blank.  Any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewWhite
New Contributor
What happens if you explicitly override the renderer with your own instead of using what is coming from the server?

SharpGIS, are you saying that I can have a FeatureLayer render using the symbology from the server?  How can I do that?  All I see are examples of setting the FeatureSymbol to some static xaml resource.  I don't want to do that.  I want to use the symbology that displays if I use a DynamicMapServiceLayer.
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
SharpGIS, are you saying that I can have a FeatureLayer render using the symbology from the server? How can I do that? All I see are examples of setting the FeatureSymbol to some static xaml resource. I don't want to do that. I want to use the symbology that displays if I use a DynamicMapServiceLayer.

If you don't set symbology and you hit ArcGIS Server 10, you will get symbology from the server and don't need to set any renderer or FeatureSymbol property. You don't really have to do anything to do that.
Are you looking at the v2.0 SDK samples, or the old v1.2? What version is your server?
0 Kudos
AndrewWhite
New Contributor
Are you looking at the v2.0 SDK samples, or the old v1.2? What version is your server?

We're using 1.2 and 9.? for our server.  Thanks for your response.  My research yesterday led me to look into version 10 on the server and 2.0 for silverlight to solve our problems, but I'm glad you responded to verify my findings.
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor
That's weird... the rest response you shared earlier indicates that this is a 10.x server (granted the first beta of this this was named 9.4). Also ArcGIS Server 10 is required to do any form of editing, and the same goes for the Silverlight API which has to be v2.0
0 Kudos