Showcase ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.0 Sites

07-06-2010 12:36 PM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

I just wanted to share with you my new ArcGIS Viewer 2.0 Beta Site.

Here are the Links:

I am busy working on my Dynamic Legend Widget for ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.0 and will submit it to the code gallery when done (most people will have to wait until they deploy ArcGIS Server 10 before they can use it though).

FYI- I probably will not share any of my code changes that I did for my site until the viewer is out of Beta, that way I won't have code out there that will just break once ESRI releases the final version.

Be sure to share you ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.0 Site once you get them deployed.:D
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Great new look, Robert. However, I am getting a Flash error when opening your custom header version.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ken,

What Flash Player Version and what Browser/Version are you using? I have not been able to reproduce this error on several machines that I have tested...?
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor
I get the same error in IE7, FP 10,1,53,64
But not in Chrome with FP 10,0,45,2

Nice work though.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Robert (and others), if you add your Web Mapping Application to arcgis.com and mark them as below, then they should also show up at http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/gallery.html

Purpose: Configurable
API: Flex
Tags: flexviewer2
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Bjorn,

Thanks I was trying to figure out how to get it on there.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
@Robert
np - We'll still need to write up the details on how to do that, so let me know if there's any "gotchas" 🙂
0 Kudos
JoshuaKalov
New Contributor III
Robert (and others), if you add your Web Mapping Application to arcgis.com and mark them as below, then they should also show up at http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/gallery.html

Purpose: Configurable
API: Flex
Tags: flexviewer2

Why is it called a "Code Gallery" if there isn't actual code available?  Is there going to be something equivalent to the old code gallery where you could sort, rate, comment, and download actual code?

It seems confusing.  Saying the "Purpose: Configurable" would sound to me like something anyone can download and configure (like the old widgets/customizations in the old gallery).
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Why is it called a "Code Gallery" if there isn't actual code available?  Is there going to be something equivalent to the old code gallery where you could sort, rate, comment, and download actual code?

Joshua, some entries have code available (for example the source code for the Flex Viewer).  It is up to each developer if they want to include the source code (or not), or if they want to provide a working link to it (or not).

It is similar to the old code gallery in that you can sort, rate, comment and download actual code (if it was uploaded).  Click on the "Details" below the thumbnail and you should be able rate, comment, and download the code (if available).

We decided to keep the name as "Code Gallery" because "Code and Application Gallery" seemed a bit long 🙂
0 Kudos
JoshuaKalov
New Contributor III
Joshua, some entries have code available (for example the source code for the Flex Viewer).  It is up to each developer if they want to include the source code (or not), or if they want to provide a working link to it (or not).

It is similar to the old code gallery in that you can sort, rate, comment and download actual code (if it was uploaded).  Click on the "Details" below the thumbnail and you should be able rate, comment, and download the code (if available).

We decided to keep the name as "Code Gallery" because "Code and Application Gallery" seemed a bit long 🙂

I am not seeing any way to sort.  All I see is a search box and thumbnails for the 3 items currently in there.

I guess I am struggling to understand what to expect when seeing "Purpose:Configurable".  For me, the most obvious/logical answer would be to expect something that is, well, configurable.  If it isn't configurable, the purpose can't really be "configurable."

Now, looking at the options on arcgis.com (which kind of take some guess work to navigate to), it looks like there are options for "Code Sample", "Configurable", and "Ready to Use."  All 3 of those options sound like available code for a user to download.  What makes Robert's finished app "Configurable" and not "Ready to Use"? 

The labeling should be from the perspective of a person navigating the gallery.  If Person A uploads something and Person B is someone looking at the gallery- Is it configurable to Person B?  Is it ready to use for Person B?  If it isn't, how are those categories accurate or useful for Person B?

Maybe there needs to be another category for "Showcase" or some term that makes it clear (and doesn't require the user to guess) that is solely to show off applications that other people have completed.
0 Kudos